To make your eyes speak louder than your voice nothing can be better than a few coats of the right mascara on your lashes. However, on the other hand, the wrong mascara can actually ruin the whole look. Smudged mascara or dripping mascara is the worst nightmare when you are in a party or in the office.
Mascaras look simple but they play a vital role in giving your eyes the right look. The best mascara formula packed in the tiny bottles can turn your look from pale to gorgeous in seconds. Your makeup cannot be really complete without adding coats of mascara to your lashes. They help in giving your eyes a brighter and more defined look.
Mascaras are a makeup staple for women with bigger as well as smaller eyes. Mascara adds definition to the bigger eyes and it helps to open up the smaller eyes, giving them a bigger look. There are several mascaras in the market. Here we will take a deeper look into the Best mascaras that you should try.
The different types of mascaras
Before we get started with our top picks of mascaras, first let us spend a few paragraphs on the different types of mascaras available in the market. Having a detailed idea about the different types of mascaras will help you to make the right choice.
Waterproof, water resistant and not waterproof mascara
This is the very basic thing that you need to know about mascaras. There are waterproof mascaras, water-resistant mascaras as well as the ones that come without any water resistance ability. It is important that you take a look at the features of these mascaras and then make the pick according to your needs.
The best quality waterproof mascaras are able to hold their place perfectly even if you happen to get drenched in the rain or splash your face with water forgetting about the mascara. Tears, sweat, a little dabbing with wet towel nothing will make these mascaras slip. These mascaras are best for long time wear as they resist fading over time. However, at the same time removing them can be a real pain without a proper makeup remover.
The next variety of mascara, which often makes a preferred choice for many women, is the water-resistant mascara. These mascaras resist water and they will not melt as soon as there is a little sweat, water or tears. High quality water-resistant mascara can also hold perfectly if you happen to dab your eyes lightly with a towel.
They can also survive a few drops of tears without melting down. However, a rain or a good splash of water or prolonged tears will easily make them out of place. The best thing about water-resistant mascara is that they are much less difficult to remove compared to the waterproof mascaras.
These mascaras have quite a commendable user base. These are not at all resistant to water and be it a few drops of tears or a little of sweat, anything can make them slip right after they have been applied. These mascaras also take longer to get dried and can ruin your whole makeup if gone wrong.
However, removing these mascaras is simple. If you do not prefer applying strong chemicals to your lashes or if you just hate to spend a lot of time just to remove your mascara, these ones can be a good option for you.
Depending on the purpose served by a mascara there can be three varieties. There are mascaras that add length to the lashes and there are the ones that add volume to the lashes. You can also find mascaras that will add length and volume both to your lashes. There are Best mascaras in each of these varieties and you need to pick according to your needs and choice. Without going to any much ado now we will directly jump to see the Best mascaras available in the market.
According to the professional makeup artists there is hardly any other mascara in the market that comes even close to the standards set by the Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Waterproof mascara. This mascara is claimed to add both length and volume to the lashes and is an ideal pick to get that doll eyed look. Before we get into the detailed review of this product, first let us make it clear that this mascara comes with a real hefty price tag and hence our expectations from this product are really high.
The mascara wand
When it comes to the mascara, the importance of the mascara wand is unprecedented. No matter, how exclusive the quality of the mascara is, unless it is applied properly it can never give the best look and for that perfect application you need a specialized wand. Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Waterproof Instant Full Body Maximum Volume Mascara comes in a sleek and shaped black mascara bottle with a full sized mascara wand.
The mascara brush has a slightly curved tip, more like in “S” shape which ensures full contact with the eye lashes. The bristles are firm, which helps in coating every lash. The wand succeeds to catch even the tiniest of lashes, which is a big plus of this product.
According to the users, the wand looks special and it makes application really simple. However, clumping of excess product in the brush ends is a problem, which can be a hindrance to smooth application.
This mascara has a creamy consistency and while applying you will just feel like putting on some cream on the lashes. The formula is somewhat towards the heavier side and your lashes might feel heavy after application of more than one coat of the product. However, as promised it adds great volume to the lashes even in a single coat, but is not that much a winner when it comes to adding length.
The pigmentation is intense black and it dries out really quick, minimizing the chance of smudging. The product is buildable and it does not flake even after three coats. This mascara is a good product but is particularly suitable for parties and occasional use. It is not a good choice if you are looking for a natural look.
- Delivers intense black, creamy color on the lashes that last for hours without any fading or flaking.
- Adds instant volume to the lashes. If you have sparse eyelashes, this one is the product you need.
- It gives the real dramatic look to the eyes which is ideal to revamp your appearance for parties and special occasions.
- Being waterproof, it has really long life on the lashes. Even if you happen to splash some water on your face, it will not tend to slip without some serious rubbing.
- The product takes minimum time to dry out, supporting quick application.
- It is free from fragrance and has been tested for allergy. The product is also safe for contact lens wearers.
- The formula is creamy which might make your lashes heavy when applied more than one coat.
- Excessive product gets stuck in the wand, which makes application quite tricky.
- The product is very expensive.
- Being a waterproof mascara, removing it from the lashes need some serious attention even with a good makeup remover.
Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Waterproof Instant Full Body Maximum Volume Mascara is a quality product and it is gentle enough on the lashes. It does not add to the fall of lashes which is certainly a big plus point. This mascara also delivers what it claims, that is thick, battable lashes.
However, the price of this product is really high and hence unless you are ready to make that kind of investment in a beauty product that you should not use for more than 6 months, this one might not be the best option at hand. At the same time, if you are not ready to opt for anything less than the best for your eye lashes, this one can certainly make a good choice.
To buy Lancôme Hypnôse Drama Waterproof Instant Full Body Maximum Volume Mascara online, check out the next link,
A highly acclaimed product in the market, the Estee Lauder More Than Mascara claims to condition the lashes while adding volume to them. This mascara has been a favorite of many makeupholics but interestingly it is not a waterproof mascara and hence does not make the top choice of the professionals. This product is pricey and so before you spend your money on it check out our review and the final verdict.
The mascara wand
One of the most important features in a mascara is the wand and let us start with that. The wand provided with the Estee Lauder More Than Mascara is a full sized one and does not come in any curled or bent shape. It looks pretty normal but it works really great.
One thing about the wand that needs special mentioning is the smaller bristle size which easily catches and lathers each and every lash perfectly. The thinness of the tip of the brush makes it ideal for coating the lashes even at the corner of the smaller eyes. The application is simple. A lot of product does not clump on the brush, which makes it much easier to get the desired volume without clumping.
One of the points that you are sure to notice while using the Estee Lauder More Than Mascara is that it dries too quickly. If you are going to apply more than one coat of the same on your lashes, you really need not to wait in between. Just apply the second coat as soon as you are done with the first and it will not clump.
This mascara mostly adds to the length of the lashes. If short lashes are your complaint, get this mascara to actually see how long and fluttering your lashes can look with the right makeup. However, apart from adding length it also adds volume, which makes it a preferred pick of all the women.
The formula is not very thin or thick, it has just the right consistency and one of the primary USPs of this product is that it does not make the lashes stiff. You can use more than one coat of this mascara to get the dramatic look but a single coat goes fine for the normal days.
- The mascara seriously enhances the length as well as the volume of the lashes with even a single coat.
- The formula is light and does not feel heavy on the lashes unless you apply more than 2-3 coats.
- It dries quickly and saves you from the chance of raccoon eyes even though it is not waterproof.
- The formula conditions the lashes and does not add to lash fall in anyway.
- It does not clump or make the eye lashes stiff even after applying more than one coat, which is a big plus.
- The application is really simple and the wand efficiently catches even the smaller lashes and coats them perfectly.
- Ideal mascara for regular as well as party time use. Single coat gives a natural look and more coats add more drama for parties and occasions.
- It is easy to remove.
- One of the first cons of this product, which is often considered as the only con of this mascara is that it is not waterproof or even water resistant in the true way. However, it does not smudge on its own unless you happen to put water on it and rub.
- The price is obviously the other con. If it was a little less pricey, it would have easily made to the makeup kit of every woman.
Estee Lauder More Than Mascara is a quality formula. It delivers what it claims and gives thicker as well as longer lashes even on a single coat. It even serves as both a regular use and party use mascara, which is really commendable.
However, as it is not waterproof it might not be very dependable and hence if you prefer waterproof mascaras you might not actually like to spend your money on it. At the same time, being easy to remove it makes a perfect choice for the office going busy women.
You can buy Estee Lauder More Than Mascara right now from the next link,
The Opulash mascara from MAC comes with some real tall claims. It promises to add length as well as volume and curl to the lashes without any clumping effect. So, yes, MAC has a clear idea of what we all ladies look for in our mascara but is it actually able to deliver all these claims? To know if this pricey product is actually worth your money read on,
The mascara wand
There is actually nothing special about it and yet it is one of the strongest points of this product. The wand looks simple with a round tip brush. However, the bristles of the brush are stiff enough to comb the lashes softly, while delivering the product evenly on the lashes.
The length of the bristles on the brush varies throughout the length which makes it easy to apply the mascara onto the lashes in the narrow corners as well as in the wider areas of the eyes. The brush is perfect for even distribution and can be used with ease even by the newbie’s to get the perfect coverage.
The formula of this mascara is not thick rather it is very light and dries out really quick. The best thing about this mascara is that it adds length as well as volume to the lashes and holds on the fresh look even after a whole long day. However, many users have complained that this mascara is not that good at holding the curls. So, it performs better if you use an eye lash curler along with the mascara.
MAC Opulash Optimum Black Mascara dries out pretty quickly and it will not give you time to separate the lashes a second time if your first coat was not perfect. It also stiffens the lashes to some extent which becomes more prominent with more than one coat.
It lasts for long and can be removed with comparatively ease, though it is a waterproof formula otherwise. All you need to remove this mascara is to hold a hot water soaked cotton pad on your lashes for a minute and then wipe off. The mascara does not smudge or flake at all, even after applying 3 coats on clean lashes.
- It makes the lashes look longer and thicker for the whole day.
- The product does not flake or smudge even if you have it on for long hours.
- It dries off quickly and saves you from raccoon eyes if you happen to flatter your lashes too quickly after application.
- The formula is not heavy on the lashes, even after 2-3 layers.
- It is easy to remove with warm water.
- This mascara is best for the ladies with naturally beautiful lashes but if you have sparse or problematic lashes, it will not hide the problems.
- If you are applying multiple layers of the mascara, you have to be really quick, otherwise you might suffer clumping.
- Multiple layers of the mascara makes the lashes stiff, which might be uncomfortable for a long time wear.
- It is expensive.
MAC Opulash Optimum Black Mascara is considered as a worthy contender amongst the Best mascaras. However, according to user experience and our review, it is good but not really worth the price. Moreover, the product gets dried off very quickly even in the bottle which you are not surely going to like.
To add MAC Opulash Optimum Black Mascara in your makeup kitty check out the next link,
After reviewing some of the Best mascaras from the luxury cosmetic range, now we will get into the reviews of some of the middle range mascaras that perform perfectly well and can even compete with the big budget ones in many aspects. The mid-range mascaras of our choice include,
This mascara comes with a primer along with the mascara and claims to add both volume and length to the lashes. You cannot really miss the packaging of this 2-in-1product which looks really unique. The product is waterproof and broadly highlights itself as washable.
This mascara is claimed to be ideal for party time use and for that dramatic look. We have found that this mascara actually delivers some of its claims but it is not completely true to all its promises in the best way. Let us look at the detailed review.
Well, there are two wands in this product. One for the mascara and the other for the primer, the point to note is that, the shape of the brushes at the end of the wands is different. The brand claims that as the primer and the mascara serves different purposes, hence their application style also need to be different which is achieved through the different designs of the wand tip.
The primer brush is quite long and it has a somewhat twisted shape with a thicker lower section and a slimmer middle part. The bristles are towards the harder side to ensure proper delivery of the primer. However, according to users, the design of the wand does not actually add much ease or perfection to the application of the primer.
The wand at the mascara side is somewhat straight, with a little notch towards the middle part. The density of the bristles is higher towards the tip of the mascara brush. It easily serves the purpose of mascara application and helps in catching the smaller lashes too.
The idea of using a primer on the lashes before going with the mascara is somewhat appealing. The process strongly stands as per the claim of adding high volume to the lashes. However, the application of the primer can be messy as the wand does not pick enough product at the first time.
The primer as well as the mascara both have a light consistency and is not very creamy. The formula of the primer is more drying compared to the mascara. After you have applied the primer with the primer wand, you really need not to wait for long for it to get dried. It will dry out quickly, so that you can complete the process with the mascara without wasting much time.
As claimed, it makes the lashes look fuller and longer after application. The best thing about this mascara is that it has zero fall out. It stays put on the lashes for the whole day, without flaking. This mascara does not clump the lashes, even if you happen to apply an overdose.
- One of the first plus of this product is that it introduces a new concept in the middle range mascara line. Packing the mascara and the primer in the same tiny bottle is no doubt a good step.
- It adds both length and volume to the lashes as claimed. So, you will not feel cheated if you are driven by the promises made by this product.
- The product has zero fall out, which is a big plus for it. It stays on the lashes without fading and smudging for the whole day.
- It does not make the lashes stiff or uncomfortable.
- The formula of both the primer and the mascara is quick drying. So, though it is a two -step process it will not add more time to your eye makeup routine.
- The product is sweat and waterproof.
- The application of the primer can be a little messy particularly because the wand does not pick enough quantity of the product at the first time and it also dries out very quickly.
- You will need a good quality makeup remover to get rid of this mascara completely.
LOreal Paris Cosmetics Voluminous Superstar Washable Mascara is a pretty good product in the middle price range. It delivers what it claims and can be your companion for regular use as well as occasions. It is not devoid of negative sides, but the concept of primer and mascara together in a middle range product along with the ability of the product to deliver the claims, make it a good option to give a try.
To try out the LOreal Paris Cosmetics Voluminous Superstar Washable Mascara check out the next link,
This middle range mascara was launched by Maybelline with some high promises. As the name suggests, it will give your eyes the drama that you can otherwise get only with the falsies. Maybelline products usually do perform well but is this mascara really able to meet with what it promises? We will see that in the next section of this review.
The mascara wand
So, first thing first; the applicator that comes with this mascara is nothing special. It is not over sized or small. There are no curves or special patterns at the design of the wand tip either. The wand looks pretty simple but it gets its job done.
The bristles present at the top of the brush are quite pointy and hard but it makes application easy. The length of the bristles is smaller which gives more maneuverability over the wand. The company claims that the brush has a special design that helps in pushing up your lashes. However, you will not see anything special in the brush.
The wand is good to use and it gets the job done quickly without causing clumps, at least on the first coat.
The formula of the Maybelline New York Volum’ Express The Falsies Push Up Drama Washable Mascara is quite wet and it takes a bit of time to get dried after application. So, you always carry the risk of raccoon eyes, if not applied with a steady hand or if you bat your lashes quickly. One of the biggest plus point of this mascara is that it does not flake or smudge even after a long day wear.
Another commendable feature of this mascara is that, it really enhances the length of the lashes. You can also see some added volume. However, it does not hold true to the claim of curling the lashes. It does not give any “push up” effect to the lashes as claimed.
For removing this mascara properly you need an oil based makeup remover. A facial cleanser might not be at all able to remove it from the lashes.
- It adds great length as well as volume to the lashes. You can see the difference just after the first coat.
- It is a long wearing formula. It will last you the whole day without smudging even if you happen to sweat or cry.
- The mascara does not flake at all, even after multiple coats and long day wear.
- It is buildable and can give the dramatic look as desired.
- The mascara is completely free from fragrance
- Does not offer the claimed “lifting” effect to the lashes. So, you will need to use a lash curler separately if you want that dolled eye look.
- It has a tendency of clumping which becomes more prominent with the application of successive layers. For getting the dramatic look you will need to apply multiple coats and with multiple coats the clumping becomes clearly visible from short distance.
- The formula is wet and it can get messy during application.
Maybelline New York Volum’ Express The Falsies Push Up Drama Washable Mascara is a good middle budget mascara that delivers not all but most of its claims. It gives long lashes as well as more volume but fails to give any push up effects to the lashes. It also suffers from the problem of clumping with successive coats. However, over all it is a good product in this price range.
To buy Maybelline New York Volum’ Express The Falsies Push Up Drama Washable Mascara online, try the next link,
There is also some good mascara available within INR 1000. If you are looking for a budget friendly mascara that will offer desired effects, try out the following,
Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara is one of the in-budget mascaras in the market which adds volume and also nourishes your lashes. The brand Jordana is known for making animal cruelty free products and this mascara has a good follower base in India as well as in the international market. Let us take a look at the review,
The mascara wand
The mascara comes in a normal cylindrical black plastic bottle. The wand is a full sized one without any noticeable specialty. The front part of the wand is densely populated with tiny bristles that are hard to some extent.
The wand is nothing special but it works. It does not run the problem of clumped product in the brush, which makes application less complicated. The bristles on the wand are more or less of the same size, except the very tip, which might make it a bit difficult to catch the smaller lashes at the corner of the eye.
Due to the full size wand, application to the lower lashes can also be a bit tricky. If you are not careful you might end up applying the mascara on the skin under your eye as well.
This one is a volumizing mascara and it performs quite well in that aspect. You can see the extreme volumizing effect right after the first coat and two coats is enough to get that dramatic look. The formula is quite runny and hence you run the risk of dripping mascara if you happen to pick a lot of product in the wand at one time.
However, the formula dries out quickly and once it has dried you can easily go over it with the next coat. This mascara does make the lashes look full and you can also expect compliments and questions for the dramatic improvement in your lash volume.
The mascara does not flake or clump when you use a single coat of it. Even two light coats can also go well. However, if you apply more than two coats of the mascara on your lashes, the performance steeply deteriorates. Clumping is one of the first problems that you will face if you use more than two coats on your lashes.
The mascara lasts for good 6 to 8 hours which is really commendable for a mascara that is not waterproof.
- It adds great volume to the lashes that is sure to be noticed.
- The formula dries quickly.
- It does not flake or smudge for a good 6 hours.
- You get a good quantity of the product for the pocket friendly price.
- The formula is free from paraben and not tested on animals.
- It is easy to remove
- Application of the product can be a little messy because of the runny formula and the full sized wand.
- More than two coats results in clumping of the lashes which might ruin the whole dramatic look.
- The mascara is not waterproof and hence a splash of water or a little sweat can seriously deteriorate its staying power.
Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara is a budget friendly mascara that gives nice volume to the lashes and a dramatic touch to the eyes. It has a good staying power even though it is not waterproof. The formula is easy to remove and nicely pigmented. In this price, this product is surely a good buy.
You can buy Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara from the next link,
How to pick the best mascara?
To pick the best mascara you have to consider two primary aspects. First your needs and second your budget. Mascaras are available for a wide price range and their quality, staying power as well as ability to offer the desired effect varies according to their price.
So, first fix a budget for the buy and then consider your requirements. If you need a mascara for occasional wearing in normal parties, you really need not to opt for the expensive 16 hour lasting waterproof formulas. A budget friendly, water resistant mascara can give you the needed results.
While the more expensive mascaras usually give both volumizing and lengthening effects to the lashes at least to some extent, the more budget friendly options usually offer either of the two. So, if you need both, you have to extend your budget. Otherwise, you have to prioritize which one is more important for you and choose the product accordingly.
There is a whole range of mascara available in the market costing few hundred rupees to thousands of rupees. While all the high budget mascaras are not the best ones, there are also good mascaras for a pocket friendly price. Choose your mascara wisely and you will not have to complain.