How to burn belly fat and get rid of this pouch? This is one of the most common questions we often ask to a trainer. As I was overdoing my bodybuilding part to get rid of my stomach fat, one of my athlete friend helped me with an alternative approach – athlete workout to burn belly fat. Does that sound interesting? Well! Indeed it does, as I gradually followed his training tip to shed those excess pounds in my belly; I was surprised to see the outcome within a few months of my workout sessions with him. Today, I can’t stop myself from sharing my experience with you.
So are you ready for the athlete training to lose your stomach fat as fast as possible? Here you go…
Four main muscle groups that need to be trained first for a strong and healthy core
Rectus abdominal: This is the ‘six pack’ muscle that runs down the front of your stomach. Its main function is to FLEX the abs. the ideal exercises include CRUNCHES and LEG RAISE
Oblique: This muscle runs down the side of your waist. They are stimulated through ROTATION and LATERAL FLEXION
Transversalis Abdominis: This muscle group lies underneath the Rectus Abdominis and it primary responsibility is to suck your tummy. Try COMPRESSION
Erector Spinae: These form the muscle of the lower back and help extend the abdominal region. The perfect workout is HYPEREXTENSION
Serratus/ Intercoastals: These are fan-shaped muscles that lie above the rib cage. Well-developed Serratus add an impressive look to any set of abs. They can make an average looking physique look incredible. The best exercises for Serratus include CABLE CRUNCHES and DUMBBELL PULLOVERS.
Core muscle exercises:
Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back; hips and abdomen to work in harmony. There are several core exercises to perform. Some are great while others are not worth your time. Core training supports your spine and helps with body balance and stability. Core is made up of three sheaths of muscles – upper abs, side muscles and deep layer of muscle. Overall core strength training reinforces the way your pelvis, hips, abs and lower back work together. Your core is the powerhouse of your body
The functions of the main core muscles can be divided into five major segments:
- Rotation (for changing direction)
- Extension (bend over backwards)
- Lateral flexion (to evade your opponent in case you play football)
- Compression ( to take a hit)
Let’s take a look at top ten core muscle training to strengthen your front, back and side of your core
- Side plank
- Mountain climbers
- Hanging leg raise
- Bicycle crunch
- Push up lat row
- Med ball rotational throws
- Farmer’s walk
- Single leg bridge exercise
- Pallof press.
Pro athlete suggests strength training if you want to lose stomach fat. Lifting heavier weights does not just empower abdominal your muscle but also build strength and boost your self-esteem. Your body is born with pre-conceived places it wants to store fat. Study at University of Alabama found that person who lifts weights happens to lose more intra-abdominal fat (deep belly fat) than those who just prefer to do cardio exercises. Strength training not only helps to lose your belly pooch but make you look perfect in bikini. Weight training exercises are the most effective as it utilizes multiple muscle groups.
Remember core muscles are already being worked when you perform the strength training exercises. Check out some of the best strength training for your abs
It is important to know a few factors before you start your ab exercises
- Do not only stick to core training. Strength training is equally important for every inch of your core
- To perform your ab exercises smoothly, lower your overall body fat percentage
- Don’t train your bas every day, they actually do not work for your abs as hard as they should be
- Do not stick to one specific ab exercise. Your body gets used to it, try out different ab exercises and increase the repetition.
Diet equally plays an important role to reduce stomach fat. Athletes cannot escape the laws of thermodynamics. According to them, you need to consume fewer calories to accomplish your goal of reducing belly fat faster. Their diet plan incorporate three important nutritional role-
This is the building block of muscle hormones, enzymes and body tissue. Protein is required for effective performance and recovery.
Little fat should be consumed for a perfect belly. Saturated fat is essential for optimum hormone function and ideal body weight.
They are source of energy. Carbohydrates fuel your body and replenish glycogen. However, emphasize should be given to the quantity and timing of consuming carbohydrate.
Meal planning tips to get the perfect abs
- Do not skip meals. Eat at least 5-7 small meals throughout the day
- Use the plate rule while choosing the portion sizes – ¼ proteins, ¼ carbohydrate, and ½ vegetables. However, do not eat if you are fully stuffed
- Choose high-fiber and whole grains as your carbohydrate choice. You may eat tortillas, crackers, pastas, granola bars, cereals, oatmeal or brown bread/rice
- Eat low-fat dairy products such as low-fat milk, low fat cottage cheese or butter
- Choose lean protein including chicken with skin, egg white, lean cut red meat, turkey, beans, peas or lentils
- Increase the intake of healthy fats like seeds, olive oil, flaxseed, peanut butter
- Increase the intake of non-starchy vegetables including asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bean sprouts, spinach, radishes, turnips, watercress, peppers or mushrooms
Foods strictly not recommended
- White flour
- Packaged foods
- Fried foods
- Potato chips
- Heavy pasta dishes
- Cheese, butter
- High calorie protein powder
- High-fat meat or skin on meat
- Sweet beverages
- Whole milk
- Tea sweetened with sugar
Meal break-up throughout the day
Breakfast (450-500 calories)
Eat 2 whole wheat waffles with peanut butter, 1 egg or light yogurt, ½ cup berries
Mid-day snacks (200 calories)
Light yogurt or ¾ low fat cottage cheese/ fruits
Lunch (450 – 500 calories)
Salad with grilled chicken breast, 1 cup chopped vegetables, 3 Tbsp. nuts, 1/s cup chopped berries, 1 large baked sweet potato with extra virgin olive oil spray
Evening snacks (200 calories)
15 whole wheat crackers, 2% string cheese
Dinner (450 -500 calories)
1 whole tortilla, ½ cups chopped peppers and mushrooms, chopped chicken breast, 3 thin slices avocado, fat-free sour cream, salad.
I am sure you must be wondering “how lucky I am to get a friend like him’.
Rita Sleiman is an expert health consultant and is associated with Texas Weight loss Center and anti-aging clinic. If you are also interested to write for HealthResource4u, Please check our guest posting guidelines at write for us.