Jock itch is one kind of skin issue that mainly develops in men’s groin as red or pink color rash due to the fungal infection. This is a contagious disease that needs proper hygiene and care to be relieved completely. Here we will discuss the causes of jock itch and its possible treatments.
This health issue is particularly developed in men only as they have specific anatomic structure i.e. men’s genitalia. The reason for its growth in the groin because this part of the body has folds and it mostly remains moist due to sweating.
In most of the cases this skin rash disappears on its own by applying some sanitary measures but if it persists longer then necessary treatment should be given in order to get relieved from the symptoms like itching, irritation, and pain.
Symptoms of Jock Itch
Jock itch is a common skin issue that every man in the world has faced it at a certain point in their life. Though this skin health issue is mostly developed in men still in some rare cases it can develop in women too. Its symptoms include the following:-
- The affected skin area gets pinkish or red.
- Rashes occur.
- It causes itching and irritation.
- It gets painful with time.
- It can spread up to the upper thigh, abdomen and buttocks area of the body.
- It often takes the form of a circle whose border consists of raised blisters. Due to its circle shape, it is called as ringworm.
- It causes burns and the affected skin gets scaly or flaky and peeling occurs.
- It often develops an odor.
Causes of Jock Itch
- Joint itch is caused by one type of fungus naming Dermatophytes that mainly grows in the moist area like in the groin. This fungus is the same that causes athlete’s foot infection.
- As it is a contagious skin infection so it easily spreads from one person to another. Any clothing or belongings of the affected person, if used by another healthy person, can transmit this infection through these contaminated clothing.
- It spreads from one area of the body to another, like it can spread from groin to inner thighs, feet, and abdomen.
- Obese people who have excess body weight are more likely to develop jock itch because of heavy muscle existence in thighs and groin.
- Bacteria can also cause jock itch but it is not as common as the fungus infection. A jock itch caused by the bacterial infection can be diagnosed with its special appearance. The affected area looks glowing, coral red, especially when seen under the black light.
- Those who wear tight clothing that can easily cause irritation on the skin can develop this infection.
- People who wear a wet bathing suit for a long time can develop the symptoms of jock itch very easily.
- Exercising can raise this infection faster as skin gets more perspiration and sweats during and after finishing the workouts.
- The jock itch can grow easily due to the friction of clothes or due to wearing a moist cloth for a long time.
- Diabetic people are always having the risk of developing jock itch infection.
- Those who have a weaker immune system and taking broad-spectrum antibiotics can develop the skin rash and other symptoms of jock itch.
- Intimate relation with the infected person can cause to spread the fungus of jock itch to the other healthy partner.
- Intimate contact with any object that contains the jock itch fungus can lead to developing jock itch in the groin.
Risks Factors for Jock Itch Growth
Under the following circumstances and condition, a person is more likely to be a victim of this kind of fungal infection.
- Men are more likely to be the victim of jock itch than the women because of the difference of internal organs which differs from women.
- Teenagers are most likely at the risk to develop jock itch issue.
- Athletes people or anyone who does an intense form of workouts easily develops jock itch health issue.
- People who have over body weight generally have many skin folds than the normal weight people. These skin folds are the most suitable place for the growth of jock itch fungus.
- Anyone who has a weaker immune system can easily get a victim of jock itch infection than those who have strong immunity power.
- Those who wear tight clothing have a frequent issue of moist skin that means a suitable location for the growth of jock itch fungus.
- People who sweat more than a normal person easily get a victim of jock itch issue.
Treatment of Jock Itch
Jock itch is a mild health issue and normally it can be rid of with self-care and treatment. Consultation with the doctor is not needed in this health issue. Following medications and prevention remedies can relive this fungal infection issue completely.
- Antifungal creams and powders should be applied on the infected area to get relive from jock itch issue. Miconazole or Clotrimazole are some common antifungal creams that are easily available in any medical store without a prescription.
- Antifungal spray should be applied to the infected area.
- All antifungal creams, powder or spray should be applied at least 2 to 3 times a day till the time it is complexly relived. Also, these antifungal medications application should keep continuing for a few days even after the infection disappears as it will prevent the risk of recurrence of this infection.
- Wear loose clothes to avoid the friction of clothing on the affected area to relieve the infection symptoms.
- Don’t keep the affected area moist or even if the infection does not yet develop then also don’t keep groin and surrounded area moist free. Pat your skin dry immediately with a clean cotton towel after bath.
- Use a mild antibacterial medicated soap on the affected area for thoroughly cleansing it. As much as hygiene you will maintain faster the chances of relief exist from the jock itch infection.
- Clean the affected skin with warm water. It will help to wash the fungus existing on the infected area also it will provide relief from irritation and pain caused by jock itch.
- Change you’re undergarments and clothes every day and wear only cotton clothes to prevent the risk of jock itch recurrence.
- If the infection persists as it is even after the application of antifungal medications and over the counter pills, longer than two weeks then immediately consult with a doctor. As per your condition doctor will prescribe some other antifungal cream and pills for total relief from the jock itch infection.
Preventive Measures for the Jock Itch
Maintaining good overall body’s hygiene is the best preventive measure against jock itch fungus infection. Also, it can prevent the risk of further recurrence of this fungus attack if ones you have already developed this infection. Following preventive measures can be proved as an effective trick for safety against the jock itch.
Keep Yourself Dry
Don’t keep your body moist for a longer duration as moist creates a favorable location for the growth of fungus that causes jock itch. After bathing pat your body dry immediately. Also, don’t wear a wet cloth as it gives a boost to multiply these harmful funguses.
Have a shower every day irrespective of all the season and day in a year. Try to bath at least two times in the summer hot days when humidity exits in weather creating a favorable time for the growth of jock itch fungus.
Bathing will rinse off all the harmful bacteria and fungus from your body. Clean your body with mild soap and wash the groin area thoroughly every day. If you take bath in the swimming pool then make sure that you are taking fresh shower bath after swimming. Also, don’t wear this wet swimming costume for a long time once you are out of the water pool.
Don’t Use Personal Belongings of Other People
Jock itch is a contagious disease so it can easily be transmitted from one affected person to the other person through the use of a contaminated towel or other belongings of the affected person. Neither use any belongings of others nor let others use to your personal belonging like a towel, clothes etc. for preventing the risk of developing jock itch issue.
Wear Loose Clothing
Tight clothes easily rub from our skin causing rashes which later on makes a favorable location for the growth of jock itch fungus. So to avoid such issue don’t wear a tight undergarment and tight fitting dress.
If you wear briefs then try to switch boxers for complete safety from skin rashes and infection thereon.
Use Separate Towel for the Infected Skin
Jock itch can easily spread from one infected body part to the other healthy parts of the body if the same towel is used all over the body. So if you have developed jock itch in the groin, make sure that you are using a separate towel for cleaning this area and don’t use the same towel on any of your body parts otherwise this fungus will spread there making your condition worsen
Always Wear Clean Clothing
It is the dirt existing in our regular clothes that not only cause to develop jock itch infection but it is also responsible for elevating this health issue. For maintaining proper hygiene always change your clothes both undergarments and external clothing on daily basis. If you sweat more than others then try to change undergarment twice in a day for keeping your genitals dry and moist free.
Don’t wear dirty cloth as it contains dirt and bacteria. If you are a sports person or do regular workouts at the gym then make sure that you are washing your uniform every day as these clothes enriched with your perspiration and dirt that can easily cause to develop jock itch issue when you wear them without cleaning.
Use Powder on Moist Area
As a moist place makes a suitable location for the growth of jock itch fungus so try to keep all your moist prone area dry by using powder over those locations like groin, thighs, armpit, genitals etc. The powder will suck the excess moisture of these locations and keep it always dry and odor free.
Immediately Treat the Athlete’s Foot Infection
If you have developed the athlete’s foot infection then start a proper treatment immediately otherwise it will easily spread to the groin area. Apply antifungal medicine on the infected area. Wearing a comfortable sandal will be helpful to relieve your condition faster if you spend much time in a public area which remains moist like gym shower etc.
Before wearing the undergarments wear socks so that the infected area remains covered and the fungus does not spread on the upper location of the body through the undergarment.
When to Consult With a Doctor
Though jock itch is not a major form of the disease still if your home remedies and over the counter medications are doing almost nothing for relieving your symptoms then without further delay visit to a doctor for proper consultation.
The doctor will physically verify the infected area and will prescribe some other counter medications if your previous medicine proved ineffective for reliving the symptoms even after two weeks of regular applications.
Some common topical medications that doctors prescribe include Oxiconazole (Oxistat), Econazole (Ecoza) etc. The oral medications which remain quite stronger than the usual over the counter medications for the jock itch include Fluconazole (Diflucan), Itraconazole (Sporanox) etc. that often prescribed by the doctors for stubborn jock itch infection.
If you are developing some especial symptoms along with rashes then you should immediately reach the hospital without further delay. These symptoms include difficulty in urination, drainage of pus, boils, a rash that includes penis or vaginal area, a rash that spreads up to the trunk, open ulcers or sores, swollen glands, fever, vomiting, lumps in the groin, the rapid spread of rash etc.
In the above conditions, you must visit a doctor for avoiding further health risk and for early recovery from this jock itch fungus infection.
Now as you know very well regarding the causes of jock itch so it should be your primary duty to stay far away from the factors that cause this health condition. Also stay always hygienic for avoiding this health trauma.View Article Sources