Swollen feet may be one of the most common conditions that a person can have. This is why it is important that you learn all that you can about the condition so that you will be able to handle it properly in case you do encounter it in the days to come.
Fortunately, we have this article to help you find out more details about swollen feet and how you can treat it properly to avoid complications. Below are some more fine points about the disease. Be sure to read along if you want to find out more.
The Initial Details
Swollen feet involve an extreme amount of fluid buildup in the specific area of the body. Because of this, a person with swollen feet can also gain weight in the shortest period of time possible. This is why you have to be very wary about having swollen feet.
The condition can also occur if you are standing in one place a lot. Aside from this, there also other side effects that you should watch out for if you have swollen feet. Here are some of the side effects as follows.
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden weight gain
Swelling can also damage your skin especially if you have a related condition that can lead to skin infections right away. Aside from this, swelling can occur during warmer seasons of the year. In which case you would have to be very careful about what you take into your body during these times. Another name for swollen feet would be edema.
Major Causes of Swollen Feet
Aside from those mentioned earlier, there are other causes of the swelling. Some of these are as follows. But when the
- Having a high carbohydrate and salt diet
- Taking contraceptives as well as hormonal replacement therapy
- Muscle injury
- Disorders of the nerves and muscles
- Varicose veins
- Drug abuse (laxatives and diuretics)
- Sodium Retention
Apart from those mentioned, there are many other causes that can lead to having swollen feet. Always be sure to ask your doctor about these other causes to let you know what specific events you have to avoid in order to prevent the development of edema in your feet.
Possible treatment methods
Be that as it may, you do not have to worry too much because this condition can be treated effectively through many known methods. One of the most effective treatment methods that you can do for yourself is to elevate your legs. You should do this above the heart level.
Aside from this, doctors can also prescribe anti-inflammatory medicine to help reduce the swelling. There are some other options that you can do along with your doctors so that you will be able to make sure that the proper treatment can be administered to your swollen feet.
- You can use leg wedges to help elevate your feet while sleeping.
- Aside from this, you can also wear support stockings or socks.
- Make sure that your shoes and other footwear as well as your socks will fit you well.
Furthermore, you should know what particular gradient you would want to have for your support socks or stockings. The gradients will depend on the pressure that would be needed for your feet. These stockings are also available in different lengths that you can choose from depending on the severity of your edema.
To know what specific kind of socks you have to avail, do not hesitate to ask your doctor about the specifics of your condition so that you can care for yourself properly if necessary.
More Tips to Reduce Swelling
The first phase of your treatment plan should focus mainly on swelling reduction. In order to do this, you have to take some of the subsequent steps and invites you to let you would be able to revert back to normal life as soon as possible.
- The first thing that you need to do is to change your diet. It is important to know that salt contributes to fluid retention. If this happens, you will be able to gain weight much faster than normal. Weight gain contributes to the swelling of your feet and may lead to severe discomfort in the future.
- In addition to this, you would have to drink plenty of fluids. If you do this, you will be able to get rid of all the toxic wastes and other unwanted residue inside your body. These waste products may also contribute to the swelling in your legs and therefore should be eradicated. Drinking water will do such a thing.
- As mentioned earlier, you should also be able to elevate your feet as much as possible. This will help promote proper blood circulation in your feet.
- Aside from this, you should lie on your back and rest your feet 12 inches above your heart level for at least 10 to 15 minutes three to four times per day. This will also help promote proper blood circulation.
- Also, you should try to avoid the direct causes of the condition as mentioned earlier. As much as possible do not abuse drugs, specifically laxatives or diuretics.
- In addition, you should exercise regularly. Exercise is known to improve circulation greatly. It will also help you to lose the excess weight that you have which will also be able to prevent the swelling in your feet and legs.
- Aside from this, you should also increase muscle activity by walking. If you can as much as possible, try to avoid sitting for too long. Walk around the house or anywhere else every 1 to 2 hours. In addition to this, you should also be able to review all of your medication with your doctors.
This is because some specific medications such as: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as well as calcium channel blockers can contribute to swelling. In this way, you can avoid further complications such as skin ulcerations in your legs which can happen if you do not take care of your legs and feet properly.