Flawless, radiant skin is desired by all but few people own it. Skin is a living organ and its manifestation is affected by a number of factors. Genetics, food habits and environment determine whether your skin will remain problem-free or not. A few common annoyances encountered by a lot of people are given underneath:
1. Sensitive skin
For people who have a sensitive skin type, it is important to figure out the root cause first. Certain skin care products may also cause sensitivity. The common symptoms of this skin annoyance are redness, itchiness, burning and dryness.
To get rid of sensitive skin troubles, you need to stay away from:
- Hot water: Use lukewarm water for cleansing.
- Over-exfoliation: Harsh exfoliation products such as nuts, shells and crystals are harmful.
- Cleansers packed with soap, sulfates and fragrances: They take away the natural oils of the skin.
- Excess products: Do not use more than three products at a time.
To get rid of sensitive skin, do this:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Eat anti-inflammatory spices: Turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper. They minimize irritation and avert fine lines and wrinkles too.
- Home remedies: Draw on home preparations to exfoliate the dead skin but only once in a week or once in two weeks.
Pimples are the biggest skin annoyance for many people especially teenagers.
Draw a skin care regimen and follow it religiously.
- Salicylic acid: Your cleanser and scrub should contain alpha or beta hydroxy acids. Products containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid are effective too.
- Benzoyl peroxide: For a quick fix, before a party or a date, put a drop of benzoyl peroxide mixed with hydrocortisone on the blemish. Use hydrocortisone (a steroid cream) in moderation, it can be bad for acne. Benzoyl peroxide removes dead skin and helps your skin produce new cells.
- Tea tree oil: The medicinal oil attacks the microbes blocking the skin. Dip a cotton swab and apply gently.
- Toner: Apply a toner after washing your face. Toners tighten pores making thus lowering the option of dirt and oil to get trapped. You can also use witch hazel or apple cider vinegar.
If the skin turns dry, use a moisturizer labeled as noncomedogenic. Some soaps and cosmetics can dry the skin and cause inflammation and flare-up. You need to be patient as skin healing takes time.
3. Dark circles
Dark circles can be really annoying if you have a lighter skin tone. The reason can be genetics, allergies, gravity, sun damage or even vascular problems.
To put off this skin condition, find aid underneath:
- Take your beauty sleep. Take at least 7-8 hours of sleep everyday. Lack of sleep makes the skin look pale thus enhancing the appearance of darkness under the eyes and reduces circulation.
- Eat healthy. A well- balanced diet filled with vitamins, plenty of water and fruits and vegetables, especially cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables is useful.
- Supplements: Lack of vitamin K or antioxidants causes dark circles. Also lack of B12 can result in dark circles. A daily vitamin supplement helps in dealing with the annoyance.
- No excess salt: Surplus of salt makes the body to hold salt. This weakens circulation and results in blue appearance of the blood vessels under the eyes. So, eat salt sparingly.
- Eye cream: An eye cream containing hydroquinone can be applied. Pigment-reducing vitamin C, retinols and soy are natural brightening agents. Thin under eye skin, exposes the underlying muscles. An over-the-counter retinol product helps in building collagen.
Blackheads are annoying. You do not need to buy expensive products to treat blackheads.
You can get rid of them easily employing the following:
- Squeeze: After taking a hot shower or a hot compress, the pores get enlarged. This makes squeezing of the blackheads easier.
- Toothpaste: Scrub the area with toothpaste topped on a toothbrush gently. Do not scrub near the eyes. Keep the amount of toothpaste small.
- Lime juice: Take lime juice, almond oil and glycerin in equal proportion. Apply this lotion on the face for 15 minutes and wash.
- Baking soda: Prepare a paste containing one part of water to two parts of baking soda. Let it dry for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Skin care product containing salicylic acid decomposes the sebum getting stuck in the pores.
5. Puffy eyes
Eyes look tired out and droopy with annoying bags beneath them. It is a clear sign of stress and fatigue.
Luckily they can be fixed at home effectively with
- Green tea bags: Do not throw the tea bags after using them. Refrigerate them. Put them over the eyelids for 20-30 minutes. Rinse them with clean water.
- Vitamin E: Mix chilled water and a few drops of vitamin E oil in a bowl. Soak cotton pads in this and leave them on the eyes for 20 minutes. This aids in reducing the swelling around the eyes.
- Potato: Cut thin slices of potato and place them on the eyes for 15-20 minutes covering the puffy area. Eye bags size down with this remedy.
- Cucumber: Place fresh refrigerated cucumber slices on the eyes for 30 minutes. Anti-inflammatory properties of the chilled cucumber checks puffy tissues.
6. Large pores
The size of the pores can be reduced and prevented from becoming large.
The best remedy is cleaning them. Others are highlighted below:
- Massage: Sweet almond, olive and grape seed oil in upward – downward movement for 5-10 minutes. Daily massage can minimize the open pores.
- Vinegar: Mix one spoon of vinegar, one spoon of lemon juice and one spoon of honey and half grated fresh radish juice in a glass of distilled water. Store it. Dab it on your face with a cotton ball to reduce pores.
- Egg white: Beat one egg white till it becomes fluffy. Store it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. Mix juice of half lemon to it. Spread this mixture on your face. This will shrink the pore size.
- Topical treatment: Vitamin A or alpha hydroxy acids (AHA’s) contain ingredients which get rid of dead skin and prevent your pores from growing larger.
- Sunscreen: Wear your sun protection everyday.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliate regularly to get rid of dead skin.
- A skin care product having antioxidant element like vitamin C or retinol helps in cleaning the pores. Use products marked non-comedogenic.
- Picking blemishes can enlarge pores permanently.
In future, if you face any of the above mentioned skin annoyances, make use of the above given information to get rid of them.
Terrie Dawson is passionate in writing about different skin conditions and skin care. She Blogs at Dermology.us. She loves to share her self-tested skincare tips and reviews on various skincare products with her readers through many skin care blogs