Shopping for black Friday deals is a high-stress high-intensity day. It is necessary that we take all the precautions we can in order to be prepared, like make a budget, create a shopping list and compare prices. However, there are also things we can do for our body and health to prepare for the holiday shopping madness. Follow these healthy tips to ensure you get the most out of your Black Friday shopping spree:
1. Eat a high carb, high-energy breakfast before you leave: For short term and long term energy boosts, a high-fiber, carbohydrate-rich breakfast is a must. But don’t over-eat or you will feel even more tired and unable to concentrate. Be sure that your meal contains a combination of eggs and whole grains. Eggs are a high-quality protein source and are rich in vitamins and minerals. Choline, another nutrient found in eggs, can help boost the memory center in the brain and help you focus on your bargain hunting. Whole grain toast or a high-fiber cereal will fill you up and give you energy throughout the day.
The Day Before:
1. Eat whole grain pasta- Pasta contains easily digestible carbs that help you restock spent glycogen (a carb stored in your muscles and liver and used for energy). Whole grain versions also have additional B vitamins that are crucial for energy metabolism. Filling up on “smart carbs” the day before a energy-blasting day is crucial.
2. Exercise & Meditation: Exercise the day before or the morning of your holiday shopping to boost endorphins and help sharpen your thinking. You can even turn your shopping day into a workout by parking far away, always taking the stairs, and using your heavy shopping bags as weights to do a few reps of arm curls. Or you can meditate the night before to clear thinking and relieve pent-up stress.
The Week Before:
1. Eat more Salmon: Salmon is one of the best food sources for omega-3 fats which is an essential fat that balance’s the body’s inflammation response linked to many diseases, including asthma. Omega 3 fatty acids are also essential for healthy eyes, brain function and development. Are you a vegetarian or just worried about mercury? Eat avocadoes! They are rich in the same omega 3 fatty acids and will give you the same benefits. Add ¼ – ½ of an avocado to one of your meals every day. Healthy lungs and eyes are necessary tools for black Friday shopping so take care of them!
2. Stock up on spinach: Spinach is a superfood and an excellent source of antioxidants, folic acid and lutein-zeaxanthin. These can help protect the brain from oxidative stress and improve your eye sight. Diets rich in spinach can also significantly enhance your learning capacity and motor skills. Bring on the crowds!