Reading Time: 8 minutes
Hair Transplant Guide: The Answer to Baldness and Hair Fall
Male or female patterned baldness has become increasingly common in modern times. Reasons for this range from cancer to medication, thyroid problems, anabolic steroids, and genetics or malfunctioning androgens. This causes hair follicles to reduce in size, leading to hair fall. This is why hair transplants are becoming the treatment of choice for impacting hair growth positively. Hair transplant is a surgical technique where fresh hair follicles are taken from areas with thick hair growth and attached to the balding or thinning area of the hair. This is a permanent replacement therapy for restoring hair in areas where thinning or hair fall are rampant. It is a permanent natural solution for those with receding hairlines or balding conditions.
Hair transplant is not just for the head. It is used to restore hair in other parts of the body as well such as eyebrows, eyelashes, chest hair and scars caused accidentally or surgically. Also known as hair restoration, it is the perfect cure for baldness and accessing a more youthful appearance.
Different Techniques For a Hair Transplant
Two primary techniques for hair transplant include FUT and FUE, FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction. Follicular Unit Transplantation is known as FUT.
FUE or Follicular Unit Extraction is a means of hair transplantation where each individual hair follicle is taken from the donor spot and transplanted onto the recipient area. No tissue strips are removed. Hair follicles are randomly removed leading to less density in the donor area. As hair follicles are removed individually, less follicles are harvested in a session.
Follicular Unit Transplantation or FUT involves removing the strip belonging to the tissue from the head's back where the donor hair follicular units are obtained. This technique is called strip harvesting, therefore, because the hair follicles are harvested from an issue strip, before being individually transplanted onto the recipient area. When there is advanced hair loss, FUT permits for a greater number of grafts to be transplanted in one session.
Before a Hair Transplant Procedure
You need to avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, vitamins, alcohol, cortisone creams, green tea, and smoking. This can lead to bleeding during the surgery and make it less successful. Before the capillary surgery, ensure that you shower and wash your hair with normal shampoos Hair lotions or sprays should be avoided.
Choose a light breakfast and don't opt for milk, white coffee, or tea within 12 hour period prior to the surgery. When you are under anesthesia, body reflexes are momentarily stopped. In case the stomach is full or partially so, this can lead to vomiting or regurgitation. This can cause damage to the lungs. So make sure you avoid eating prior to the surgery.
Pros and Cons of Hair Transplant
The procedure will work to yield an impact for male pattern baldness, hair thinning on account of hormonal variations and in the event of scalp injuries. Hair transplantation is cost effective as against medications for the hair. The whole cost is incurred in one shot as against a lifetime of therapy.
Natural growth is the main procedural aim of hair transplantation so the effects are long lasting. Surgery is within the control of the patient, with results very much in the grasp of the patient. Results look natural as against makeup or tattoos.
Hair transplant is an advantageous treatment plan to reduce the hair loss caused by baldness, natural aging, scalp injuries and thinning hair. Results can differ based on the scalp laxity, hair quality and density of the transplanted hair follicles.
The procedure produces long-term results and surgery takes place in multiple, varied stages. Once the complete procedure is carried out, there is no need for repetitive treatments.
Hair transplantation procedures are cost effective and affordable. The surgery takes place at one go and you get optimal results.
Regrowth of natural hair is another benefit. During the procedure of hair transplant, the relocation of the natural hair follicles is transplanted into thinning areas or bald patches. The hair follicles function in the same way as natural hair follicles, permitting natural hair regrowth within months.
The operation has high safety standards. If you do not prefer it, you can avoid total anesthesia. Pain can be overcome by localized sedatives.
Another advantage of hair transplantation is uniformity of distribution. The technique is associated with optimizing the overall follicular distribution.
Hair transplant increases hair density. Hair transplant surgery is completed easily and the healing process is followed by the natural growth of hair.
Hair transplantation surgery is a process that has long-term benefits.
Instant results are another big advantage of hair transplants. You also have control over the results and excellent hair density.
With any surgical procedure, hair transplant is associated with numerous side effects. Complications include infected hair follicles, loss of hair transplant or shock loss, inflammation of the scalp and itching and numbness of the scalp. Transplanted hair creates an artificial look as well.
Hair transplant procedures also create a successful impact, but hair follicles can die off before regrowth occurs. Bumps can also grow on the site where transplantation is taking place.
Scarring, or stretch back scars can develop in response to tension in different parts of the scalp.
Another possibility is that the transplantation may not be successful. There is no certainty that surgery would react to patients as reactions are unique for each patient.
Another point is that fees are paid as per the procedure and yet chances of failure on account of injuries or exposure to medications and graft plantations may not succeed, wasting time, cost and effort.
Hair transplant also involves a major portion of the dermis has to be extracted for implantation. Scalp provides protection to the follicle following the trauma. But follicles this become pregnable in case where a massive chunk is removed.
Side effects associated with the procedure include cysts and swelling.
Moreover, you would be going under the knife if the hair loss treatment option is considered. Pain also results once the anesthesia wears off.
Another problem is that transplants can produce immediate results, but only in limited portions of the scalp. The newly transplanted patch can appear unnatural.
Side Effects of Hair Transplants
In case you have had hair transplant surgery, the hair may become thinner for some time. This is a normal condition following the operation. The thickness returns within some months post the surgery.
There is limited pain involved while the actual hair transplant surgery takes place. Close to half of the people may need to undertake the procedure for opting for pain relief and management. Mild pain blocking medication such as Tylenol may be taken.
Side effects of hair transplant surgery include blood loss. Putting pressure on the area will prevent the bleeding. Bleeding may require extra stitching for closing the wounds.
Itching can occur on areas affected by the surgery of the hair transplant. Opt for a shampoo to clean the hair each day to eliminate the problem.
A common impact of hair transplant surgery is numbness. Patients report numbness for several weeks following the surgery and this is only short term.
Hair transplant surgery can cause a person to experience swelling in the forehead and surrounding the eyes. This lasts for some days and a black eye may also result.
While rare, infections can also occur following hair transplantation. Antibiotics are given prior to and following the procedure to prevent the contagion from developing.
This appears in the area where the hair transplant has taken place. It is known as the recipient area. This cyst does not last more than few weeks and does not exceed the size of small acne.
If keloid scarring occurs following hair transplantation, this is because of a genetic inclination. Patients have scars in the form of ridges as well.
Scars and Hair Transplant
A sign of the hair transplantation or restoration surgery is a linear scarring on the back of the head. Hair transplant scars result from strip harvesting. FUT procedures lead to unpredictability in nature from this surgery. Strip hair transplant patients may develop a paper-thin scar. Thick, protruding scars of around half an inch in width or more may develop. The individual patients will experience whether scars will stretch with time.
FUE is the alternate option to FUT. It does not result in a linear scar. Combat a receding hair line and get the hair density you need to conceal the donor area scar.
Strip procedures generally involve division of the tissue into an individual follicular unit. The wound heals in ideal cases only. The scar is detectable underneath the current hair. It may even stretch over time. Strip hair transplantation also has other drawbacks such as distorting hair growth angles and using more invasive procedures than FUE.
Hair Transplant Procedure
Prior to the commencement of the procedure, the patient has to consult the surgeon. Analysis of the patient's scalp creates a plan for the selection of follicles from the donor site. The procedure may need one or more sessions depending upon the condition.
Once the scalp of the patient has been cleaned and treated with antibacterial agents prior to harvesting og the donor scalp, the donor site is then injected with local anesthetics to numb the area prior to the extraction. This can be done through FUT or FUE procedures. After the procedure is completed, the dressing of the scalp is done. It may take a few months for full benefits of the transplant to show. If you like to know more about the procedure , please visit Vinci hair clinic .
- Once the anesthetic has become ineffective which lasts anywhere from three to four hours after surgery, some discomfort and pain may be experienced. Minor swelling and soreness may be experienced in the scalp. If a bandage was applied to the scalp following the surgery, the dressing may be removed. A couple of days off from work might be beneficial for letting the swelling subside.
- Once the transplant is over, the scalp feels pink, tight and itchy. Areas of the scalp where implantation of your donor hairs takes place may form scabs that will eventually fall off. This will be followed by the growth of newly transplanted hair which may undergo some “thermal shock” initially, but recover to showcase natural hair density.
- Transplanted hair grafts grow into the new hair which follows the normal phases such as anagen and telogen to have a normal growth/loss cycle.
- Here are some precautions you should take after undergoing surgery:
- Someone else should drive you home after the surgery as you still may be under anesthesia which takes the time to wear off.
- If a micrograft is undergone, the compression bandage will have to be wrapped around the head. This should remain in place for a single day and cleaned as well as dried.
- For the first night following the surgery, you need to sleep in a semi-upright position and elevate the head using a couple of pillows. Avoid touching or picking the freshly grafted area.
- Avoid drinking alcohol within two days of the surgery. Smoking should not be resumed till a month later. Smoking can act as a barrier to blood flow to the hair follicles which is essential for new growth.
- Special lotions can also be used and contain a growth factor to encourage new hair growth and volume. Wash and shampoo your hair a few days after surgery. This cuts down on dead skin cells and cleans the scabs. This also prevents the scabs from follicle damage and prevent hair growth.
- Use a balanced shampoo for best results. The donor hair area should also be cleaned thoroughly to prevent crusts from forming and impeding scarring.
- Use a cold compress to lower inflammation or bleeding, but do not use this on the grafted area, Place it on the forehead or back of the head for best results.
- Avoid post-operative sports activities or any activity that involves N an extensive movement of the head.
- Use antibiotic cream to prevent scarring and infection.
- In case you have undissolvable stitches, these are taken out 14 days after surgery.
- Avoid sun exposure or opting for sunbeds when the scalp is swollen and pink.
- Use a hat while going out to the sun. If you experience severe pain, bleeding or infection, contact the surgeon at once.