Shaving may cause skin irritation at one time or another. While this is true for men with all skin types, for no one is it truer than for those having an inherently sensitive skin.
Men with a tough and hardier skin may sometimes embark upon cheap aerosol shaving creams without any hostile effects; however, men with a sensitive skin are fully aware of the limitations of such products and how much they can aggravate their already suffering skin condition. Also, there is a great percentage of men today who are looking to turn to a more natural shaving cream solution, ditching the chemicals.
If you too happen to be in one of the two above mentioned groups, you are in great luck as we are here today to provide you with a list of the best shaving creams for sensitive skin which are formulated with ultra-mild and skin soothing ingredients.
Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
Table of Contents
5 fl. oz
Stearic acid, Propylene glycol
Olive Oil and Coconut Oil
Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid,Aloe Vera
organic aloe barbadensis leaf juice, potassium myristate
Who Can Benefit from Using a Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin?
Men with an excessively dry skin: If you experience extreme redness, itching, dryness or flakiness after shaving, you surely need to switch to a better and more natural shaving cream that will hydrate and moisturize your skin.
Men suffering from eczema, psoriasis or other acute skin condition: Shaving creams containing punitive chemicals can further aggravate the skin condition.
Men with an acne-prone skin: Again, if you are suffering from acne, turning to a more natural shaving solution can definitely help ease out the skin.
Men that experience severe razor burns, razor bumps or ingrown hairs: All these problems could either be caused due to the use of a faulty razor, incorrect shaving technique or lack of personal hygiene. But most of all, they must be related to a bad choice of shaving cream.
Are You Following a Proper Shaving Routine?
Knowing the best shaving techniques can actually mean the difference between a good shave and a bad one. Here is a quick rundown of some essential tips that should be borne in mind before shaving. Let’s have a look.
- At first, this may seem quite laborious, but religiously following these steps can reduce the adversarial effects of shaving considerably and in the end, it will all be worthwhile.
- To start with, thoroughly clean your skin using a mild facial cleanser ideal for sensitive skin. it should be fragrance-free and formulated sans any dyes or chemicals. Avoid the use of antibacterial cleansers or those containing alcohol traces.
- After properly cleansing, wait for 10 minutes and let the skin settle down before shaving.
- Apply a thin layer of oil or moisturizer for added protection. This makes the skin supple and flexible, thus helping the razor blade to glide easily on the skin’s surface.
- Be careful while choosing an appropriate razor for your skin. Go for the one with a single blade and try to avoid disposable razors. Some are marketed particularly for sensitive skin types. Using those can be a wise choice.
- Always make sure to use a sharp blade- preferably a new one every time.
- If you are using an old blade, make sure to properly clean it and dry thoroughly immediately after use. Also, don’t forget to use a protective cap.
- Apply a thin layer of the shaving cream.
- Do not overstretch your skin.
- Shave slowing without exerting much pressure in the direction of the hair growth.
- Make sure to wash the blade properly in between each stroke.
- Once you have finished shaving, make sure there are no traces of shaving cream left on your skin.
- Wash your face with cold water to close all open skin pores and soothe the skin.
- Gently pat dry using a soft towel cloth.
- Follow up with a good moisturizer to re-hydrate the skin and maintain its softness.
Top 5 Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin
The Art of Shaving, Sandalwood is an amazing unscented shaving formula that hydrates the skin, making it soft and smooth. This chemical-free cream is thick and produces a foamy lather that not only improves the razor glide but also protects the skin against any kind of irritation.
The prime ingredients include glycerin along with coconut acid that softens the beard for a better and more comfortable shave. The product can be applied with or without a shaving brush. It doesn’t leave the skin feeling dry or irritated and as a result, it is quite popular among people having a sensitive skin.
Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream is an unscented, paraben-free formula that soothes and numbs the skin and unstiffens the beard for a comfortable shave. The product is formulated with natural ingredients and skin emollients that reduce the chances of skin irritation or cuts so as to offer a good experience. It is ideal for sensitive skin.
Lidocaine, an active ingredient present in the shaving cream successfully cuts the pain or any kind of irritation. It has a creamy base which is due to the presence of essential lubricating oils, thus making it easy to apply.
People with sensitive skin, like Lidocaine’s minor pain suppressant quality to its precursor, Benzocaine, as that was much more potent and sometimes caused serious skin issues.
Kiss My Face is a fragrance-free formula made from all organic ingredients that soothes and hydrates the skin, offering a close and smooth shaving experience. The cream is enriched with Vitamin E that makes the skin softer, aloe vera that soothes it and olive oil that moisturizes and nourishes it. Apart from this, it also contains lemongrass and golden seal that further protects the skin.
You can produce a rich lather from just using a small amount. It is also not very expensive and is quite equivalent to products that are more costly. It is absolutely free from all parabens, artificial odors and animal ingredients.
The best way of application is to take a trivial amount of the cream in a cup. Pour some hot water onto the brush, not too much, and then make the cream create a good lather before shaving.
Jermyn Street Shaving Cream is great product specially formulated for use by sensitive skin types. It has a nice fragrance that is developed by mixing some essential ingredients together such as lime, lavender, lemon, bergamot, amber, geranium and neroli immersed in a base of vanilla and patchouli that are great for delicate skin.
The product works up to form a good lather in very less time and with a very small amount of product. It provides adequate lubrication, thus helping the razor to slide smoothly without much effort. You can use a shaving brush to nicely spread the cream and exfoliate the skin. The scent of the product is amazing, much like masculine cologne.
The only disappointing part about the shaving cream is that the lather doesn’t persist. However, use the product on a wet face to overcome this issue.
Pacific Natural Shaving Cream is made from organic ingredients that protect the skin against all kinds of irritations and allergies. This low lather formula extends great lubrication, keeping the skin nourished, healthy and smooth while offering post-shave protection from harmful environmental factors as well.
Despite being a low-lather formula, the product produces adequate lather using a small amount. If you have thick and stubborn facial hair, this product is the best choice. It is also quite popular among people who experience frequent breakouts or allergic reactions after shaving. Use it with the right shaving brush to get the best results.
Sometimes, people complain about experiencing a pasty residue but that may be due to unsuitable use.
What to Look for When Selecting the Best Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin?
- The cream should be free from all harsh chemicals.
- It should be fragrance-free and formulated without harsh essential oils such as orange, lemon, etc.
- Try to avoid the creams that come in an aerosol can packaging.
- It should be enriched with natural oils, shea butter, and glycerin.
- It should contain aloe vera as it soothes the skin.
Locating the right products for sensitive skin is a tricky task. You need to figure out the ingredients that go well with your skin and then buy products accordingly.
While looking for the right shaving cream, concentrate on the presence of essential ingredients that moisturize and nourish the skin. Avoid foaming gels that contain artificial chemicals which can be potentially dangerous to the skin. Also, keep away from dyes, artificial colors, alcohol, and preservatives for an easy shave.
It is very important to use the shaving cream as per the directions so as to avoid razor burns, cuts and skin irritations.
If you are still confused about the right product for your skin, I suggest you can start with using Pacific Shaving Company’s Natural Shaving Cream. It is the ideal solution for having a calming effect on the delicate skin. It also offers total ease while shaving sans any kind of pain or irritation.