Hey all you beautiful ladies! Today, we shall talk about a problem that is faced by a lot many of you- Blackheads. Are you tired of those ugly blackheads on your face? Are you looking for an easy remedy to get rid of this bad skin problem? If yes, then read on!
Today, there are a lot of products in the market for treating blackheads. A lot of these products may be really heavy on your purse, draining you of all your hard-earned money. But the biggest issue is that even if you use these expensive products, there is still no guarantee that your blackheads will not return. So instead of using these hi- fi products and treatments, you can simply go in for an effective home remedy- Hydrogen peroxide.
In the following post, you will read about the effective method of using hydrogen peroxide for removing blackheads and getting a beautiful looking skin.
What are Blackheads?
Blackhead is primarily an acute skin condition where skin pores become clogged with oil. Our skin consists of sebaceous glands that secrete an oily substance known as sebum. This sebum is very important for the skin as it keeps it hydrated and supple. However, if this sebum is produced in an excessive amount, it forms plugs in the skin pores by sticking to the epidermal cells that shed off from the skin.
These plugs are known as comedones. The black headed plugs are known as open comedones. Similarly, the white headed comedones or whiteheads are known as closed comedones. Sometimes these open comedones oxidize and turn blackish brown in colour. Other types of comedones are pustules (pimples with pus) and cysts.
Causes of Blackheads
As discussed above, the primary cause of blackheads is fundamentally due to the excessive production of sebum that often combines with the overgrowth of skin cells, which result in blocked pores.
Let us also understand some common reasons for excess sebum production. The hormonal changes that take place during puberty are the most common reason. Apart from this, pregnancy, birth control medicinal pills and menstrual periods might also muddle the normal sebum production. Also, excessive production of androgen hormone enhances sebum secretion in both girls and boys during adolescence.
Some more factors that may cause the formation of blackheads and skin acne are:
- Heavy usage of cosmetics or harsh skin cleansers.
- Heavy sweating or high levels of humidity.
- Dietary factors or any medical condition that causes rapid skin cells turnover.
- Intake of harmful steroid drugs.
Does Poor Hygiene Cause Blackheads?
This is a common query that may cross your mind while talking about blackheads. A lot of people may hold poor hygiene as one of the prime reasons for blackheads. However, this is NOT the case. In general, acne and blackheads are NOT caused by:
- Poor hygiene (Also, it is seen that excessive scrubbing and face washing make the blackheads worse)
- Chocolates and greasy foods
Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove Blackheads
There are numerous blackhead removal products that are available in the market that claim to clear your skin of all the blackheads. Seldom do they work as they promise. What you need for a great looking skin is an effective home remedy that helps you to remove these ugly heads. The best remedy is hydrogen peroxide.
It does not have any side effects on your skin. Moreover, it can be used for all skin types.
What is Hydrogen Peroxide?
Hydrogen peroxide is an effective chemical compound represented as H2O2. It is basically a colourless liquid that can be easily obtained in its pure form.
Hydrogen peroxide can be used to eliminate blackheads in two methods: as cream, that contains up to 1% of this chemical and secondly in the pure liquid form that contains 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide.
Note: Hydrogen peroxide can be obtained in higher concentrations than 3% also, however, that should NEVER be used on the skin.
- Hydrogen peroxide in the liquid state of 3% concentration can be easily found in all the medical stores near you. If you find this chemical in higher concentrations then you will have to dilute it with water.
- If you want to use a cream version, you can simply follow the instructions on the back of the product package.
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Blackheads?
Well, using hydrogen peroxide is quite simple. Just follow these steps and see the difference yourself:
- As a first step, just wash your face with a mild face cleanser that suits your skin. This will remove all the excess oil, dead skin cells, pathogens and other impurities. Wash with cold water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Exfoliate the affected areas of the skin such as the nose, chin, etc. Make sure to not overdo it. Be gentle with your skin and it will clear up all the skin impurities.
- You can also use a homemade scrub for exfoliation. A simple sugar and rose water scrub is great. It will successfully remove all the oxidised blackheads. Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- The next step is to use hydrogen peroxide. Dip a cotton swab in hydrogen peroxide and dab the blackhead affected areas with it. Make sure to discreetly avoid the eyebrow areas as well as the hairline as it may bleach the hair.
- Following this, gently moisturize your skin with olive oil, jojoba or avocado oil while your face is damp. Massage one teaspoon of this oil as this will help to smoothen and protect your skin by keeping it hydrated.
How Does Hydrogen Peroxide Work?
The amazing hydrogen peroxide helps to dissolve the blackheads, thus eliminating them from your skin. Even if there are any blackhead scars, they can be easily removed with this.
Note: It is important to ascertain that you use hydrogen peroxide in a diluted state. If used in a big quantity, it might cause skin irritation, redness or blisters.
Important Tips to Remember
- Do not over exfoliate your skin as that might irritate your skin causing skin redness. Over exfoliation leads to the removal of stratum corneum, a skin layer made up of dead skin cells. This layer is very important as it keeps the skin hydrated, retaining all the moisture and keeping away all the skin infections.
- A lot of people might prefer using salt to sugar in order to exfoliate the skin. One important thing to understand is that salt will make your skin dry. Being a humectant, sugar will keep your skin and pores soft. Also, it is an unmatched source of hydroxyl acid.
- Pay a lot of attention while using hydrogen peroxide on your face. Avoid the eyes area. If it gets into the eyes, rinse immediately. If the irritation persists, visit a medical professional instantly.
- Try to include a regular skin exfoliating pattern into your skin care regime. This is greatly help to keep the skin pores clean and prevent the blackheads from appearing on your skin.
- Make sure to use a face cleanser and moisturizing lotion that helps to heal your skin. You can use a medically approved product that has been suggested by your dermatologist.
Using hydrogen peroxide is a great remedy for treating blackheads. This will give you a brighter, clearer and radiant looking skin.