Are you aware about what to eat when you have colon cancer? Most people with colon cancer ask their doctor about the different types of foods they can eat during the treatment. Some patients are seeking to know the specific diet during the colon cancer. Yet it is significant to understand that there is no particular diet or food that has been proved beneficial in colon cancer prevention. Having one type of food in excess is not helpful, and may cause harm to your body. Eating healthy during the cancer treatment helps the patient to get more energy and feel better. A healthcare provider, doctor or a dietitian can recommend methods to maintain a healthy diet during the colon cancer treatment.
Receiving sufficient calories to build your body strong is the basic facet of the colon cancer diet. Healthy diet helps to:
- Recover the possible nutritional deficiencies
- Enhance the immune system effectively
Cancer treatment may affect the patient by:
- Reducing their appetite
- Interfering in their body’s potential to absorb and utilize the nutrients
- Lowering down the ability of the digestive system
Methods to perk up colon cancer diet during the treatment involve:
- Eating small portions of nutritious meals
- Consuming fortified foods and drinks when required
- Drinking ample of fluids after eating ( avoid during eating)
Role of supplements
For most people, taking vitamins, proteins and mineral supplement is usually recommended. But antioxidants like vitamins C and E may obstruct in the ability of chemotherapy to destroy the cancer cells. A dietitian may evaluate how to balance your nutrition with the cancer and recommend you supplements that are effective to consume.
Essential foods that should be included in a colon cancer patient’s diet include:
- Fresh and raw fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Legumes such as lentils and beans
- Chicken, poultry, non fatty fish, meats free from additives and hormones
All these foods provide:
- Vitamins, enzymes and minerals
- Complex carbohydrates
- Simple proteins that are easy to digest
Vegetable which involves cancer preventive compounds that helps to reduce the risk of getting cancer are:
- Winter squash
When you ask your dietician about what to eat when you have colon cancer, then probably they will provide you this list of foods.
What types of foods should be eaten?
- If you have a variety of food in your diet, you are at less risk of getting any type of diseases. So, eat variety of foods.
- Restrict your overall intake of fatty foods; instead favor good foods listed above. Having steam, baked or boiled foods is helpful.
- Eat ample of fresh veggies and fruits. Prefer to have garlic if you can. If it’s possible for you to pick fresh organic vegetables and fruits, prefer them since they are rich in nutrient values.
- Eating natural whole foods can help you shield against any illness.
- Avoid junk food, processed food and refined sugars.
- Eat fiber rich foods such as cereals, legumes and breads
- Good colon cancer diet and colon cancer prevention diet are similar. The major difference is that patients who have undergone chemotherapy are in greater need of nutrition as their appetite becomes poor. Having nutritious foods is essential, as it helps to build a good immune system.
Any type of cancer is opportunistic. They take over the immune system of the person when it is already weak. Our objective is to build a good immune system and make our body strong enough to fight with the foreign bodies that cause illness. Luckily most cancers respond appropriately to the dietary set up.
If you still have some doubt on what to eat when you have colon cancer, refer to a good dietitian as they will evaluate your medical condition and let you know the best diet.
Caren has always loved science and understanding how things work. I’m also writing articles on cancer.