Are you someone who is struggling very hard to lose your belly fat? Do you have tried every possible diet plan for weight loss but still not getting any remarkable results? If all these criteria fit in your case then here is an effective solution for you. We are going to share today some effective ways to use onion for weight loss.
You will be surprised to know that one everyday used ingredient in your kitchen i.e. onion has the potential to reduce your belly fat as well as overall body weight. Onions are a great source of soluble fiber which makes it an ideal prebiotic food. It makes very healthy gut flora which is vital for an effective weight loss process.
The best part of this widely available vegetable is that you can use them in any way. As per your personal preference eat them the way you like. Juice them, bake them or make soup out of them in all the way it proves very effective for your final goal purpose.
However, for grabbing its bets possible benefit it is advised to eat onions raw as their whole nutrient essence remains intact in their raw form. On the other hand, cooking destroys most of its nutrient essence. However, that risk can be reduced if you boil or broil them for a minimum possible time.
Onions are the rich source of a flavonoid called quercetin that prevents fat accumulation and helps in weight loss by boosting your metabolic rate. Read this article till the end to explore how you can grab weight loss health benefits by consuming onions in your day to day life.
Nutritional Content of Raw Onions
One cup or 160 grams of raw chopped onion contains
- 64 calories
- 15 grams of carbohydrate
- 16 grams of fat
- 7 grams of fiber
- 76 grams of protein
- 78 grams of sugar
- 12% of the daily requirement of vitamin C, vitamin B-6, and manganese.
It also contains some other essential minerals in a small amount including calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, and the antioxidant quercetin.
How Does Onion Help in Weight Loss?
Onion with its potent properties stimulates weight loss enzyme in the body that aid in weight loss. With daily consumption of onion, one can easily manage to lose weight naturally along with reducing excessive fat accumulated in different areas of the body.
Usually, more than average people gain weight rapidly due to their sedentary lifestyle routine, unhealthy diet habits, lack of physical activities especially dedicated exercise practice, certain medication’s side effects, hormonal imbalance, and certain medical issues. Use onion as a fixed part of your daily diet routine as if you use it appropriately it proves very effective. It helps in boosting the metabolic rate of the body which ensures speedier calorie and fat burn naturally.
The metabolism function of the body regulates your digestion and its absorption into cells. Due to many underlying conditions, this function may get affected leading to its negative impact on your food digesting ability and its absorption into cells. This can also lead to many other diseases' growth if not taken care of on time. However, with onion diets, you can cope up with this issue as it helps in boosting the metabolic rate of your body and ensure healthy weight reduction.
Onion is also a rich source of antioxidants that protects your body and health against oxidative damages and speeds up the metabolism function of your body. Onion is also rich with anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing the inflammation-induced weight gain in the user.
This healthy vegetable contains enzymes that help in mobilizing fat. Its intake also prevents your diabetes growth risk by preventing insulin resistance. All these benefits of onion consumption directly or indirectly aid in healthy weight and fat reduction.
Other Health Benefits of Onion
The benefits of consuming an onion are not limited to a reduction in belly fat or weight loss, it is far more than that. The other areas of health that improves and benefited out of your regular intake of onion in any form are enlisted below-
- It improves cardiovascular health.
- Helps in lowering blood sugar level.
- It improves gut flora and supports the digestive system.
- Boosts your immune system.
- Strengthen your bones.
- Prevents blood clots generation which otherwise can prove life-threatening.
- Help in fighting against cancer.
- Improves eyes health.
- It helps in preventing allergies, inflammation, and respiratory disorders.
- Prevents skin and hair related problems growth.
- Stimulate brain function and memory power.
- It helps in cholera treatment.
You can easily grab all the above-mentioned health benefits by including this easily available and cost-effective vegetable that can be used in cooking several ways.
Ways To Use Onions For Weight Loss
You can use onions following way to include in your everyday diet menu for weight loss benefit-
- Peeled white onion
- 3 Cups of water
- For preparing this onion juice drink first you need peel off one onion and slice into pieces in a bowl.
- Now pour one cup of water in a saucepan and heat it until it boils.
- After 3 to 4 minutes remove the pan from heat and place sliced onions and water in a mixer.
- Mix them well and then add two remaining cups of water in it.
- Your healthy, nutritious drink is ready to serve. Simply pour it into a glass and enjoy your weight loss drink.
- 6 Large size red onions peeled and chopped
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Cup shredded cabbage
- 4 Cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Grated ginger root
- 2 Cloves of minced garlic
- 1 Tsp black pepper
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- A handful of cilantro for garnishing
- First, you need to peel the onion’s skin and then chop them finely.
- Place a soup pot on the gas stove and put olive oil in it. Add garlic and ginger in it and saute them for two minutes.
- Now add chopped onions and vegetables in it. Stir and cook them for 30 seconds.
- After that add chicken or vegetable stock whichever is available to you, black pepper, and salt as per your taste preference. Stir all the ingredients well and cover it.
- Cook them for 15 minutes.
- Your onion soup is now ready to serve. Transfer it in a soup bowl and enjoy its amazing taste along with grabbing its weight loss benefit.
- 1 Medium-sized sliced red onion
- 1 Lime wedge
- Pinch of rock salt
- Toss the sliced red onion in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice on your onion slices.
- Sprinkle the rock salt on it.
- It is ready to eat. Consume them as a side dish in your lunch or dinner.
- Enjoy its amazing taste along with ensuring its benefit for weight loss.
Try these three easy and effective onion recipes for stimulating weight loss ability of your body naturally along with enjoying other health benefits associated with regular intake of onions in the above-mentioned ways.
Other Ways to Include More Onions in Your everyday Meal
Onions are one of those veggies that can be consumed in several ways and every way it tastes amazing and provides your body with its healthy nutrient essence. So take a look at some additional ways to include more onions in your everyday meal plan.
- Onion Guacamole Salsa- To eat onions in this way you need to chop up onions, avocado, tomatoes, and jalapenos. You can use it as a taco stuffer or dip for thin crackers and chips.
- Onions Sauteed in Broth, Juice Or Water- This is an amazing side dish and healthy as well. Onions though taste amazing when sautéed in oil or butter but that can increase your weight. So to make it healthy you need to slice the onions and super thinly. Cook it in a liquid for seven minutes not more than that. You can cook it in beef broth, chicken broth, lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, and tomato water. This dish tastes amazing and is healthy as well.
- Onion Bruschetta- To prepare this recipe you need to chop up onions, tomatoes, garlic, and parsley. Mix all of them in a bowl and drizzle them with olive oil. Add it on a whole grain bread or English muffin. Use low-fat mozzarella as a topping. Broil it for 6 minutes or until the cheese turns brown or bubbles form.
- Onion-Caprese Italian Salad- For preparing this amazing salad you need to slice a red onion from its side and then top it with sliced tomatoes and then low-fat mozzarella. Drizzle it with a good quality olive oil and enjoy its amazing taste.
- Sweet Onion and Orange Salad- For preparing this dish first you need to flatten red leaf lettuce or butter lettuce and spinach leaves on a plate. Now chop up two sweet yellow onions, three navel oranges, and one apple on it. Mix two tbsp of canola oil, Dion mustard, white wine vinegar, honey, and toasted poppy seeds to use as a dressing. Add this prepared dressing over your salad. You can grab this salad alone or have it with it roasted chicken slices.
- Marinated Onions with Steamed Kale- This is another way to enjoy the taste of onions along with ensuring its benefits for losing weight. To get this recipe prepared you need to cut onions into strips and curls and marinate it in the mixture of rice vinegar, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Let it rest for an hour in the fridge and then pour it over steamed kale. This is a great combination and amazingly taste snacks. Kale is a rich source of protein and other healthy nutrients that helps in weight loss.
Tips To Avoid Cons Of Eating Onions
Along with many health benefits eating onions is associated with few drawbacks. However, the good news is that you can avoid these after-effects of eating onions by following the below-mentioned tricks and tips.
Tips to Avoid Onion Breath
This is the most common issue associated with eating a raw onion or any meal that contains raw onion in it in excess quantity. It develops a foul odor in the mouth that persists for several hours after its consumption. However to avoid this pungent odor you can chew few mint leaves or can chew peppermint gum. Also, you can rinse your mouth with a mouthwash or brush your teeth to get rid of bad onion breath.
Tips to Avoid Tears While Chopping Onions
This is another common issue that every other individual face while cutting raw onions, tears roll out from eyes continuously. To avoid this issue you can wear swimming goggles or light a candle while you chop the onions. These tricks will prevent the onion vapors from reaching your eyes which is the actual cause of crying.
Tips to Avoid Onion Smell in Your Hands
Cutting or chopping onions often leave its odor in hands that persists for a longer duration. However, you can get rid of onions smell from your hand if you wash your hands thoroughly after chopping them. After washing hands rub your fingers with the spoon back. This trick really works very effectively and instantly.
Avoid Eating Sprouted Onions
Sprouted onion’s taste and consistency are not as good as fully grown red or white onions. So this may not taste great to everybody. Also, the remaining portion of the onion feels unpleasant if left unused.
With the above-mentioned trick, you will no way feel problematic to eat onions no matter how picky you are. Start consuming this healthy veggie as guided above effective ways to use onions for weight loss. It really works however for an effective and sustainable result in your weight loss goal you must follow a healthy overall diet and workout routine.