Commercial hair dyes remain loaded with toxic chemicals such as ammonia and parabens which though add temporary color and shine in your hair but in the long run, it can damage your hair health badly. So to avoid this concern today we have come up with some easy tips to make herbal hair color at home, that you can prepare with ingredients available at your home only.
Whether you are affected with prematurely graying hair issues or want to style your hair with different and classy colors to experiment with your look for every reason try only herbal hair dyes which are a hundred percent safe and good for your hair health no matter how frequent you use them. As rich with herbal or nature’s product so there is no risk of hair or scalp damaging with their application.
The best part of these homemade hair colors is that you can customize them according to your hair type, your specific requirement, and other expectations according to your will. If you do not get a satisfying result then there is a wide array of other recipe options available to make your customized homemade herbal hair color.
Also when you dye your hair with a self-prepared hair dye you are a hundred percent sure about all the ingredients used in it which you are no way sure when you get a hair dye done at a salon or use a commercial dye or color spray. Also, it is very much cost savior and offers long-lasting effect which is again a great benefit that everyone will prefer using our below mentioned herbal hair color recipe step by step guide at home.
7 Ways to Make Herbal Hair Color At Home
Lemon and Coconut Oil Mix Herbal Hair Color
Lemon is the most potent ingredient that we all can easily avail in our kitchen. It is loaded with tons of benefits and features with its essential nutrients for your hair care and health. So it is obvious that along with coloring your grey hair you will also be able to nourish your dry and lifeless looking hair and scalp with this herbal hair color at home.
Just like lemon, coconut oil is another beneficial ingredient and multipurpose oil that costs very low with comparison to other hair care oil but loaded with versatile properties and benefits to boosts your hair and scalp health. When mixed with lemon together they form an amazing by-product that will offer instant black, shiny and smoother color in your grey hair and also reduce the graying process speed.
- For preparing this homemade hair dye first you need to mix the fresh lemon juice into coconut oil.
- Massage your scalp with this prepared mixture and then comb it gently so that the mixture can spread thoroughly all over your hair.
- Leave it as it is for one hour.
- After that wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
You can use this herbal hair color two times in a week if the number of gray hair is quite high otherwise use it once in a week to get a black, shiny and softer hair look.
Sage Leaves and Water Mix Herbal Hair Color
Sage leaves and water mixture is an amazing hair treatment at home. The natural oil existing in this leaf strengthens the hair roots and promotes the growth of healthy hair. Along with darkening your gray hair its vital properties such as antimicrobial, astringents and anti-inflammatory is effective in treating different scalp conditions such as eczema, dandruff, and dermatitis. Sage leaves tea is an effective herbal hair color remedy.
- Sage Leaves (black sage)
- For preparing this homemade natural hair color first you need to boil the sage leaves in water.
- Once it gets boiled remove it from heat and then let it cool down.
- Spray it all over your hair when the liquid reaches room temperature. Let it sit for two hours.
- After that wash your hair with a mild soap or shampoo.
- Every time you use this herbal spray it will add a bit color in your hair. With the frequent application, the hair color gets black naturally.
You can use this herbal hair dye 3 to 4 times a week until your hair color gets darken and then use it weekly to maintain the color. It not only colors your premature grey hair but also stops its growth rate by restoring the natural color of your hair.
Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil Mix Herbal Hair Color
Curry leaves are rich with antioxidants and amino acids that strengthen hair follicles and nourishes your scalp. You can try curry leaves and coconut oil herbal hair color treatment which is a great combination to treat your gray hair issue at home. Also even if you want to style your hair with a safe and natural color look then also this is a safe hair styling remedy for you.
Curry leaves restore the natural melanin pigment level in your hair to make it naturally darken with its potent Vitamin B complex and minerals like iron, zinc, selenium, and iodine. It reduces the speed of premature graying hair problems easily in young people.
- For preparing this homemade herbal hair color first you need to boil all the curry leaves in coconut oil.
- Once it boiled strain out the leaves and let the curry leaves induced coconut oil cool down to a temperature in which you can easily apply in your hair.
- Massage your scalp with this mixture for a few minutes and let it sit for an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo or soap after the end of resting hours.
The curry leaves and coconut oil mixture hair color herbal remedy helps in prevention as well as treatment of graying hair issue by darkening it naturally. Also, it reduces hair loss and promotes the growth of healthy hair naturally
Black Tea Herbal Hair Color
Black tea contains tannic acid which can darken your grey hair over time with its frequent application in your hair. It is rich with antioxidant properties that promote healthy hair growth. The caffeine content of this herbal tea is beneficial for your hair health as it controls the hormone responsible for hair loss. This remedy works best on people suffering from premature graying hair issues.
- 2 Tbsp black tea leaves
- For preparing this herbal hair color remedy first you need to boil the tea leaves in water.
- Once the tea is ready, let it cool down until it reaches the room temperature.
- Strain the tea leaves and then apply the brew on your hair. In case of long hair pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray it all over your hair. Brush your hair so that it can spread smoothly.
- Let it rest in your hair for 1 to 2 hours and then wash your hair with cold water. Do not shampoo your hair.
The black tea or brew is an effective remedy for darkening your premature grey hair problem. It works best when you use them very frequently and it is absolutely safe than any commercial hair dye or spray.
Henna-Catechu and Coffee Powder Herbal Hair Color
Henna-Catechu is the best solution for coloring your gray hair or styling your dark black hair color with naturally brown or any lighter shade as per your desire. Coffee is another essential and effective ingredient of this homemade herbal hair color which is again rich with potent properties known for enhancing your overall hair health to naturally darkening your grey hair. Apart from this curd and lemon works as a conditioner that soothes your dry scalp and stimulates the growth of healthy and softer hair.
- 1 Cup henna powder
- 1 Tbsp catechu (Latin name- Acacia catechu)
- 1 Tbsp Brahmi (Latin name- Bacopa monnieri)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp curd
- 1 Tbsp Indian gooseberry
- 1 Tbsp dry mint powder
- Coffee powder
- For preparing this homemade hair color first mix henna with other ingredients in their mentioned quantity in a plastic, wooden or steel bowl very carefully as henna can react to certain metals.
- Add vinegar at the end to get a proper thick consistency.
- Let this mixture sit for two hours and then apply it directly on your hair.
- Leave the paste on your hair for one hour and then rinse it with water thoroughly.
- Henna gives the reddish color to your hair whereas coffee gives it a brownish color. Mix coffee to balance the level in order to get your desired hair color.
Henna is a traditional ingredient used for dyeing grey hair naturally. This remedy is not only cost-effective but will give you the same hair color effect that you get out of expensive hair treatment at the salon. Don’t forget to do a strand test first before using this remedy directly on all over your hair area. Use this remedy twice a week for the best result.
Henna and Shikakai Mix Herbal Hair Color
This herbal hair color home remedy is an amazing combination of ingredients that are primarily known for benefiting hair root, scalp, and overall hair health. It will add natural color to your grey hair and will offer lasting effects without damaging your hair just like any commercial hair dye.
- 1 Cup henna
- 1 Tbsp shikakai
- 2 Tbsp Indian gooseberry or amla
- 2 Tbsp curd
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp soap nut (aka reetha powder)
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- For preparing this herbal hair dye use an iron bowl preferably as iron oxidizes the ingredients and helps in making your dye darker.
- Mix all the ingredients in this bowl until you get a smoother and thick paste. Leave it in the bowl overnight.
- Apply this paste on your hair the next morning and allow it to sit in your hair for two hours.
- After the resting hour rinse your hair thoroughly.
Along with darkening your grey hair this herbal hair color remedy also promotes the growth of healthy, shiny and softer hair. It prevents hair fall issues and helps in thickening your thinner hair. Use this remedy two times in a week to control your premature hair issue and also to give lighter shed to your dark black color for a safe hair styling treatment at home.
Sesame Seeds and Water Mix Herbal Hair Color
Sesame seeds are rich with omega fatty acids content which nourishes your scalp and stimulates blood circulation that helps in promoting healthy hair growth. It controls premature graying hair issues when used as a herbal dye along with treating other common hair and scalp health issues. This is absolutely safe hair color treatment at home and effective as well.
- Sesame seeds
- For preparing this herbal hair color home remedy first you need to soak sesame seeds into the water in order to make it softer.
- Once the seeds get softer mash it in a food processor to get a smoother paste.
- Apply this paste directly on your hair and scalp. You can comb your hair in order to spread this paste smoothly in every hair strand. Massage your scalp gently with this herbal paste to stimulate blood circulation levels.
- Let it sit for an hour and then rinse your hair thoroughly with a mild soap or shampoo.
Use this remedy two times in a week to darken your white hair faster. It is advised to use black sesame seeds instead of a white one as the black seeds are not hulled so contain excess nutrients to moisturize your scalp and hair. This herbal hair dye reduces excess hair fall issues along with darkening your grey or white hair.
Try the above-mentioned list of easy tips to make herbal hair color at home and get rid of your premature graying hair issue in a very safe and effective way. As these are natural hair dyes so there is no risk of hair or scalp health-damaging no matter how frequent you use them. You can skip a remedy if it is not working for you and try any other option out of this detailed list of herbal hair color remedies.