Reading Time: 9 minutes
The pineapple coconut crumb bars recipe offers you with perfect blend of these two highly nutritious and delicious fruits. As available throughout the year so you are open to enjoy this yummy treat all around the year which is very easy to prepare and perfect to win the heart of your every family member irrespective of their age and taste bud.
Whether you like the taste of coconut or not, with this recipe there is no chance to resist it as the crunchy coconut crumbs that are used as a filler as well as toppings take this crumb bar to a different level and it is quite different than regular coconut recipe.
As rich with natural fruits filler so it is good for your health as well, no matter how strict diet routine you are following currently. It tastes like super yummy topical dessert which is itself a great treat when you can manage to make the same at your home by yourself.
The best part of this recipe is that with only one-time dough preparation your whole recipe will be completed as you can use the same dough for the crust as well as for topping. There is no comparison to this delicious, juicy pineapple filling and when mixed with coconut its taste enhances much greater.
Serve this delicious dessert in your weekend menu to surprise your kids and spouse and stay ready to enjoy those amazing compliments that will make your whole effort worthy.
Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars Recipe #1
For crust and crumb topping
cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the filling
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (100% juice)
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- First, you need to preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Take an 8” square shape baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Set it aside for the time being.
- Take a medium-sized mixing bowl and pour your ingredients such as flour, coconut, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in it and whisk it smoothly. Add the butter and stir it with the help of a fork until the mixture turns to coarse crumbs. Now take out one cup out of this mixture for further use and press the remaining mixture on the bottom of the parchment paper coated pan.
- Mix together the crushed pineapple, cornstarch, and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Pour it over crust and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the reserved dough mixture on the filling.
- Bake these raw bars on the center rack of your oven for 24 to 25 minutes or until your toppings turn to golden color with brown golden spots on it.
- Once baked cool these crumb bars on the cooling rack. After that take it out of the pan very gently and place them on the cutting board. With the quantity of the above-mentioned ingredients, you will manage to cut 9 squares all total. Serve it in your dessert plate and enjoy its crunchy and natural sweetened flavor.
- Make sure you melt your butter and allow it to cool completely before mixing it directly it in the mixture especially the hot melted butter. The hot butter application will cook the flour and the crumb would not form which is the real essence of this recipe.
- In order to get perfect texture and flavor of your crumb bars make sure that you drain the crushed pineapple from the juice as much as it is possible by squeezing it enough. Eat it later by adding in smoothies or drink. If remain left a little bit that doesn’t matter.
Pineapple Coconut Crumb Bars Recipe #2
For the crust and topping
- 1 ½
cups of all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut (shredded)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
For the filling
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple (drained)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
To prepare crust and topping
- For preparing these crumb bars first you need to preheat the oven to 350°F. In between line a square shape 8-inch baking pan with the aluminum foil. Leave some of the foil overhangs on the pan for easy removal of your baked bars and set it aside.
- Now mix together the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter into the mixture after cutting it into small pieces. Stir the mixture with a fork until you get coarse crumbs. You can also beat it in a mixer on low speed or by using your hands as per your choice.
- Take out 1 cup of this mixture and keep it in a different mixing bowl. Add in ¼ cup of the shredded coconut in this mixture and mix together. After that store it in refrigerator after covering your mixing bowl tightly.
- Spread the reaming crumb bars mixture onto the prepared baking pan. Press it gently to spread it on a smoother level.
- Now it all set to be baked. So bake it at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until you find the top layer is set completely and edges are turned to the light golden brown. Once baked for the stipulated time remove it from your oven and keep it aside to cool down.
To prepare the pineapple coconut filling
- To prepare your filling you need to mix the crushed pineapple, cornstarch, lemon juice, and sugar together in a large saucepan. Cook it over medium flame and stir often for about 5 to 7 minutes until the mixture gets thickened. Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining ½ cup of the shredded coconut.
- Spread the pineapple filling on the crust. Take out the reserved crumb topping from your
refrigerator and sprinkle it on the top. Bake this again on the oven at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until it turns to light golden brown on top.
- After baking, remove it from the oven and place it to the wire rack to cool down. Now remove the foil from the baking pan and transfer it to the cutting board. Slice it into small or large bars whatever feels good to you.
- Serve these crunchy tasty bars to your friends and family members.
Tips for Making Perfect Coconut Crumb Bars
Follow the below-mentioned tips to get perfect textured and taste crumb bars at home-
- In order to make perfect crumb bars, you should first use only melted and cooled butter in the mixture. For this first melt the butter and wait until it cools down completely before using it in your mixture. Otherwise, if you will use hot butter it will cook your flour mixture immediately and the real crumbs won’t be made. It’s better that you melt your butter in the microwave and cool it for 4 to 5 minutes. Store it in the fridge for 3 to 4 minutes where it would get cool enough but don’t let it get solid.
- In order to get perfect coarse crumbs, you should use fork only for stirring the butter into the flour mixture.
- Prefer using the unsweetened coconut instead of the sweetened one because the sweetened coconut can overwhelm your crumb bars’ original taste making it highly sweeten.
- Avoid using aluminum foil for lining your baking pan. Instead line your baking pan with the parchment paper. This is because when you line the pan with parchment paper it protects your pan against scratching risk if you use a knife or spatula for getting out the crumb bars. On the other hand, if you use aluminum foil then it contains the risk of getting messed with pineapple mixture if it leaks to the pan which will be very difficult to remove.
Can these crumb bars be prepared without adding coconut?
Yes, you can prepare these crumb bars without adding coconut if you do not like the taste of coconut. This really tastes amazing even with pineapple alone. However, there would be no harm in adding shredded unsweetened coconut as it will no way overwhelm the taste of pineapple and will make this dessert very crunchy one whether you use it as filler or as a topping. The gooey pineapple filling compliments to the coconut turning this delicious bar into a tropical dessert.
What are the appliances needed to prepare pineapple coconut crumb bars?
In order to prepare this pineapple and coconut combo crumb bars, the appliances you need to have are two medium-sized bowls, one square baking pan and one spatula which every one of us can easily avail in our kitchens. Stir the mixture only by fork as it helps in getting proper coarse crumbs needed for this recipe.
Why only crushed pineapple is best for this recipe?
Crushed pineapple has the appropriate texture for using in this recipe. When you mix it with cornstarch it easily get thicken and turns to perfect pie filling layer. So when you try to remove these bars from pan it is easily removable. Make sure you squeeze the pineapple as much as it is possible. However little bit of juice is okay for the mixture.
Nutrition Facts about Coconut and Pineapple
Both coconut and pineapple are popular tropical fruits which are also known as versatile fruits because of their multidimensional health benefits that they derive out of their nutrients content. These are two most commonly used ingredients especially when it comes to preparing dessert it turns the taste of regular dessert or tropical cocktail to a different level.
Coconut Health Benefits
Coconut is rich with essential vitamins such as Vitamin A and E and minerals such as iron, sodium, selenium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Also, it is loaded with fiber which makes it a healthier fruit for people of all ages and health conditions. The coconut water is not only yummy by taste but it is also high in electrolytes which helps in keeping your body superb hydrated. The oil prepared with coconut flesh is an excellent source of nutrients that is healthy for your heart and cholesterol level as it boosts the level of good cholesterol or HDL level in your body.
When used in cooking this makes your daily food much healthier enough as it contains only healthy fat which is vital for your body and health. You can use coconut oil in your regular smoothie, salad or any cocktail, soups and even in coffee which will enhance its taste along with increasing the nutrient content of that particular food.
While preparing baked goods one can replace regular vegetable oil with the coconut oil. Also, its oil can be used for pan-frying, sautéing, and roasting. You can cook your food at high temperatures with coconut oil as it is loaded with saturated fat which makes it safe for cooking at high temperatures.
A recipe that needs dairy products like milk can be easily replaced with coconut milk for both sweet and savory recipes. This option is really a great benefit for those who have allergens with regular milk. This works best as a smoothie base or in a more precise term non-dairy smoothie base. Also flaked, shredded and desiccated coconut is a great topping for any smoothie, or on yogurt or fresh fruits top.
Also one can use it for garnishing baked foods like cakes etc. In the long list of coconut recipes and its utilization in different goods, we should not miss those yummy crunchy coconut chips which come with great flavor and contain full health benefits of the coconut fruit.
Pineapple Health Benefits
This juicy yummy fruit is though sweet by taste but it is not high in calorie content just like the usual high sweetened foods. This property makes it healthy for people of all age groups and an effective one for almost every health condition as a low-calorie diet. As highly delicious by taste, so no one can say NO to a pineapple snack which is really a great replacement for regular packaged snacks that you buy from the market.
Whether you are consuming pineapple slices or making its juice and smoothie in every form it is extremely healthy and beneficial for your health. It is the rich source of essential nutrients such as Vitamin C, fiber, enzymes and minerals such as manganese, etc which are vital for your brain and nerve functions. Also, its regular consumption can easily boost your metabolism level hence effective for better utilization of fat and carbohydrates. Apart from this, it helps in regulating blood sugar levels, so good for diabetic and pre-diabetic patients. It is great for people suffering from different heart health-related issues. Being rich with thiamin is effective in changing carbs into energy. Also, it helps in reducing inflammation in the body with its especial protein-digesting enzyme known as bromelain.
You can grab this fruit directly by cutting it into slices. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for further consumption as it is difficult to cut pineapple at once so it will be a good option to cut them prior and store it for further use. Add the pineapple slices in your vegetable-based smoothies as it will add natural sweetness and reduces the necessity of using added sugar which is unhealthy for everyone’s health. Also, it makes a great combo with non-vegetarian foods such as fish, meat and chicken.
The pineapple coconut crumb bars recipe instruction mentioned above are extremely easy to follow and even if you are making a crumb bar first time in your life then also you will surely not make any mistake if you follow its guidance step by step. So what are you waiting for? Make this weekend special one by surprising everyone with your expertise in the cooking of these highly delicious, crunchy bars which is an amazing combo of these two delicious and nutritious evergreen fruits.