Reading Time: 4 minutes
COPD or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is a developing disease leading to a more serious condition. According to the National Heart Lung Institute, it is one of the most common diseases affecting men’s health. Based on the survey released in 1985 among a group of 200,000 men, 100 of them have COPD. 80 out of 100,000 women are also affected. A person with COPD has difficulty of breathing and cannot be able to perform a normal lifestyle. The air cannot freely come in and out of the lungs due to the clogged air sacs. The lining or walls of the air sacs are inflamed or in a worst-case scenario, destroyed.
Since effective communication is needed to have good sex, it is important that COPD-affected individuals must be open to their partners regarding the disease. It is not easy to disclose how ugly you can be when the symptoms of the disease are obvious – when you are doing it but at least, these will not shock your partner anymore. Then, you can discuss how to go about it when disruptions occur – to remedy the situation immediately. However, a long-term approach is recommended by first knowing about the disease.
The Affected Organ: Lungs
The respiratory organ is called lungs for air-breathing vertebrates. The major function of the lungs is to provide gas and blood flow to the alveoli and exchange gases between the alveoli and the blood. The lungs have bronchial tubes or airways that serve as wind pipes or air passages. The bronchial tubes have thousands of smaller branches called air sacs or alveoli. When you breathe, the small airs sacs will be filled with air and suddenly deflate when you exhale. That’s the normal flow of air in our lungs – not unless there’s an underlying condition just like in the case of COPD.
Respiratory Illness: COPD
COPD is the general term to describe the condition but it is categorized into two kinds: emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Emphysema is the enlargement of air sacs lining that may lead to permanent damage. The air sacs will become out of its shape and flaccid. In other words, the tiny and numerous air sacs will lead to larger and fewer alveoli – this will lessen the amount of air exchange in the lungs that causes difficulty in breathing.
Chronic bronchitis is quite common. It is a non-specific chronic cough with sputum production that exists for more than 3 months to almost a year. The continuous coughing is due to the inflamed and irritated air sacs that produce sticky mucus. This mucus will cause the obstruction of the air passages of the lungs that will lead to severe shortness of breath.
Common causes of COPD are:
- Long-term cigarette or tobacco smoking
- Second-hand smoking or long-term exposure to tobacco or cigarette users
- Air pollution, dust or chemical fumes
- Airway hyper-responsiveness
Signs and Symptoms
The common signs and symptoms of this disease are chest tightness, easy fatigability, coughing with productive mucus or sometimes called “smokers cough” and breathing shortness associated with widespread wheezes and crepitating or crackling sounds that can be heard when exhaling.
A COPD-diagnosed patient should undergo medical treatment. In fact, there is no specific medicine for this disease but a pulmonologist can prescribe therapies to manage the symptoms. A COPD patient can be supplemented with low-level of oxygen through oxygen therapy. A bronchodilator is essential to control air spasm and bronchial drainage combined with chest physiotherapy exercise to promote effective coughing.
COPD and Sex
If one of the partners suffers from COPD, it is but natural to wonder if sex life can be improved safely with it. Will the wheezing, coughing and breath shortness go away? This will definitely change how you are in bed – making careful considerations to the affected one. However, it’s good to know that there are ways to make sex enjoyable when COPD controlled. Then, it’s a must to do the following:
- Stay fit to build stamina for sex. Start with non-strenuous exercises first like strolling, stretching and proper breathing. Continue attending a pulmonary rehabilitation program. This is not restricted to COPD patients that have just been diagnosed. They are for all COPD patients who wish to develop exercise tolerance – according to COPD expert Dr. Teresa T. Goodell of Oregon Health and Science University in Portland. This rehabilitation program will last for six months meeting weekly or bi-weekly. Do the therapy twice a week to be sure.
- Find the right timing since getting over-fatigue is typical for COPD patients. When energy is on a high level or even just on a normal level, then it’s the right time for sex. You don’t need to be fully energized like a bull to do expressions of love. If you can walk up and down the stairs with ease, then it’s a good signal. Just communicate this clearly to your partner. You can show a sign when you feel like it but make sure that the other party knows about it – to make it not sound like you are following a strict schedule.
- Resort to sexual drug enhancers when impotence is a problem like Sildenafil Citrate. You can even purchase Cialis online without prescription but make sure that the COPD symptoms are not associated with any heart ailment. The usage of these medications must not be abused to be able to reap their full benefits.
Yes, despite COPD – one can still be sexually active or good sex is still possible. A devoted couple can wither the storm in their intimate relationship by understanding, nurturing and taking care of each other no matter what kind of diseases affecting them. It’s really true that when you are keeping your body, mind and well-being healthy – you are also taking care of your partner. Since good health is essential for good sex. Therefore, if you want to have a fulfilling sex life, live a healthy lifestyle by eating the right kinds of foods, exercising and not letting any disease go untreated. By working together in defeating COPD, the real essence of the two becoming one is clearly demonstrated!
This is a guest post by Elena from Raipharmacies.com – home of the top natural menopause therapy. If you are also interested to write for HealthResource4u, Please check our guest posting guidelines at write for us.