Reading Time: 9 minutes
You must have already heard about the use of essential oils in skin and hair care. They have become so popular nowadays that it is hardly possible that our article is the first stop where you are reading about them. This article will primarily focus on four best essential oils and how to include them in your daily skin and hair care.
However, though many of you are sure to be familiar with the term “Essential oil” you might not have a clear idea of what these are and how exactly you can get the best benefits of these oils on your hair and skin care.
This article will inform you about the best essential oils available and how you can include them in your daily skin and hair care regimen to get the best benefits.
What are essential oils?
Before we get to the Best Essential oils and how to include them in your daily skin and hair care, first let us take a quick look at what are essential oils and how they are obtained. The term “Essential oil” is actually a contraction of “quintessential oil,” and these oils are extracted from different natural sources through distillation.Source:Mercola
Actually, the pure essential oils are a mixture of a number of organic chemicals that are volatile by nature and can be effective to offer a number of health as well as beauty benefits.
The use of essential oils
Essential oils are not only used extensively in natural skin and hair care products, but they also make a major part in the aromatherapy treatments. They can also be used for treating minor infections and bruises.
There are different essential oils extracted from different plants, plant parts, and other natural sources and each of these oils come with their own characteristics and abilities. So, before you use an essential oil, it is really important to be well aware of the exact benefits that essential oil can offer.
Before you can include the essential oils in your skin and hair care regimen, the first thing you need is to have a clear idea about the best essential oils for these purposes and how to use them. Using even the best essential oils for the wrong purpose or in the wrong way can be least effective and can even be harmful to your skin and hairs.
Read on to know about the Best Essential oils and how to include them in your daily skin and hair care for the best results,
Best essential oils for your skin and hairs
The right essential oils, when used in the right way, can do miracles for your skin and hairs. Starting from the common skin and hair problems they can even cure chronic skin and scalp issues when used religiously over a considerable period of time. Some of the best essential oils for skin and hairs are,
Tea tree essential oil
When it comes to using essential oils in skin and hair care, tea tree oil comes at the very top due to its excellent natural antibacterial, antifungal and healing properties. Tea tree essential oil is a potent essential oil extracted from specific species of the tea tree.
This oil can be used for both skin and hair care to get the best results.
Tea tree essential oil for skin care
Due to the active anti-microbial, antibacterial and antifungal properties, tea tree oil can be your best weapon to fight against acne and other skin problems caused due to external infections.
How to use it
To use tea tree oil on your skin, it is essential to dilute it considerably. Tea tree essential oil is highly potent, and you should never use it raw, which can be damaging to the skin.
- If you have acne, you can add tea tree oil with any other carrier oil, like almond or olive oil and then apply it directly onto the pimples
- You should not add more than 2 drops of tea tree essential oil in 10-12 drops of carrier oil when you are about to use it on facial acne
- Also, make sure that you mix the two oils properly before application
- You should not keep the oil on your face for more than 5 minutes, and wash off with excess normal water
Adding few drops of tea tree essential oil in your regular facial cleanser or face pack can be a good way to reduce the chances of acne breakouts and to heal the existing ones.
You can also treat body acne and fungal infections on the skin and nails with tea tree essential oil. As the skin of the body is comparatively less sensitive than that of the face so you might use more of tea tree oil for these purposes. However, never make it more than 40% of the total mixture.
Tea tree essential oil for hair care
You can use tea tree essential oil for hair care. This oil is particularly suitable for clearing the scalp from any microbial or fungal infections. Dandruff and scalp acne are some of the most common hair problems, and tea tree oil can be effective to treat both.
How to use it
If you are suffering from dandruff or scalp pimples or any other type of scalp infections that is triggering hair fall you can use tea tree oil in the following way to get the best results,
- Add 3-4 drops of tea tree essential oil in 10-15 drops of any carrier oil, like coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil
- Mix the two well and massage the oil into your scalp at night before going to bed
- Wash off your hairs with a mild cleanser in the morning
- You should repeat the process at least 2-3 times in a week to get the best results
You can also add few drops of tea tree essential oil in your regular hair oil and shampoo to keep dandruff and other scalp infections at bay.
You can buy pure tea tree essential oil from here
Lavender Essential oil
Lavender essential oil is extracted from the flowers of some particular species of the lavender plant. This oil comes with a sweet and pleasing aroma which makes it highly relaxing for the mind and senses.
Lavender essential oil can also make a vital part in your skin and hair care regime. Here is how you can use it in your daily skin and hair care,
Lavender essential oil for skin care
The anti-microbial, as well as toning effect of lavender oil, makes it ideal to be a part of your daily skin care regimen. It can also be helpful to cure skin problems like acne, pimples as well as small cuts and rashes due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use it
If you are looking out for a perfect toner for your skin that will also keep pimples and acne at bay, the lavender essential oil can be a wise pick. This oil can also be helpful to erase fine lines and wrinkles from the skin with regular use.
- Add 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil with 15-20 drops of rose water
- Mix the two well and apply onto your skin with a wet cotton ball
- Once it gets dry follow with a suitable moisturizer
Lavender essential oil for hair care
Lavender essential oil is known for its ability to control hair fall and boost hair growth. Loss of hairs is a common problem, and by including lavender essential oil in your regular hair care routine, you can reap some great benefits.
How to use it
- Mix 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil with 8-10 drops of any carrier oil, like coconut, almond or olive oil
- Massage your scalp and hairs with the resulting oil mixture at night before going to bed
- Wash off with a mild hair cleanser in the morning
- Use this treatment 2-3 times a week to get quick results
You can also add few drops of lavender essential oil in your regular hair oil or hair cleanser to ensure the best hair and scalp health.
You can buy pure Lavender Essential oil from here
Rosemary Essential oil
The other essential oil which has extensive use in skin and hair care is the rosemary essential oil. This oil is extracted from the rosemary flowers through the distillation process and has a woody smell that can be refreshing.
Here is how you can use it in your beauty regimen,
Rosemary essential oil for skin care
Rosemary essential oil is known for its ability to reverse the skin damages caused due to the harmful rays of the sun. It also has natural antiseptic and healing properties that can be effective in giving you a problem free skin.'
How to use it
So, if you need to spend hours under the sun and you often suffer from skin tanning and sun damage on the skin, rosemary oil should make a vital part in your kitty. Here is how you can use it for skin care,
- The best way to use rosemary essential oil on skin to get its sun-damage repairing benefits is to use it mixed with a face pack of fuller’s earth
- Soak 2-3 tablespoons of grounded fuller’s earth in sufficient rose water for 15 minutes
- Once the fuller’s earth has softened considerably, add 4-5 drops of the rosemary essential oil in it
- Mix all the ingredients well to make a homogenous paste and apply it onto the affected area of the skin
- Let it stand for 10 minutes and then wash off with plenty of water
You can also prepare a similar sun-damage repairing face pack by adding rosemary essential oil with excess Aloe Vera extract.
Rosemary essential oil for hair care
Rosemary essential oil is known for its ability to cure itchy scalp boosting hair growth. Many studies suggest that religious use of rosemary essential oil can control hair fall and stimulate new hair growth. This oil is also effective to control premature graying of the hairs.
How to use it
- Add 4-5 drops of rosemary essential oil in 10-12 drops of almond or coconut oil
- Mix the oils properly and then massage your scalp and hairs with the resulting oil mixture at night before going to bed
- Wash off with a cleanser in the morning
- Repeat 2-3 times in a week
The other way to include it in your daily hair care is to add few drops of rosemary oil in your natural hair cleanser.
You can buy pure rosemary essential oil from here
Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood can do wonders for the skin and scalp. The sandalwood essential oil can be your magical secret to beautiful skin and hairs.
This essential oil is more expensive but the results it offers on religious use is truly amazing. Here is how you can include this oil in your hair and skin care regimen,
Sandalwood essential oil for skin care
Sandalwood essential oil can be very effective to banish skin dryness. It also works to smooth out fine skin wrinkles. Sandalwood oil can also be useful for smoothing out uneven skin complexion. You can use this oil in your regular skin care regimen as a one stop solution for different skin woes.
How to use it
For treating skin dryness and fine lines on the skin you can use it in the following way,
- Add 4-5 drops of sandalwood essential oil with 8-10 drops of sweet almond oil and 8-10 drops of olive oil
- Mix the ingredients well and use the resulting oil mixture in excess to massage your face and neck area in slow circular motion for 5-10 minutes
- Let the oil stay on the skin after massaging and wipe off with a damp cotton ball only after 30 minutes
You can also add sandalwood essential oil to your massage cream, regular moisturizer, and lotions. You can add few drops of sandalwood oil in your bathing water as well to keep your skin hydrated and nourished. Sandalwood oil can also remove scars and marks from the skin with regular use.
Sandalwood essential oil for hair care
Sandalwood essential oil can be effective to cure scalp dryness which is often the major reason of dandruff, particularly during the winter season. If you are suffering from dry, brittle hairs then too sandalwood essential oil can come very handy. This oil can repair any hair damage caused due to dryness giving you soft and beautiful locks.
How to use it
- Simply mix 4-5 drops of the sandalwood essential oil with 15-20 drops of almond or coconut or olive oil
- Use this oil mixture for massaging your scalp and hairs before going to bed, three times a week
- Wash off in the morning with a mild hair cleanser and plenty of water
- No need to follow with a hair conditioner
Adding few drops of this essential oil to your regular hair conditioner can also be very helpful to banish hair dryness.
You can buy pure Sandalwood essential oil from here
We would also like to point out before we end this article Best Essential oils and how to include them in your daily skin and hair care, there are many other essential oils, apart from the four mentioned above, that can be effective for treating different skin and hair problems and to promote better overall skin and hair health. This article has focused only on few of the best essential oils available.